Thread: A little too much HP for my tiny 10 bolt!

Senior SCH Member

A little too much HP for my tiny 10 bolt!

I busted my rear end! Pinion sheard off!!! Now, anyone here have any idea of how I can mod a ford 8.8 inch rear end to fit my Z? I have heard that the 8.8 ford rear end can sustain a lot of HP, is much lighter than the 9 inch, and i bet it's cheaper too. Anyone know how I can mod the rear end to fit my torque arm on teh rear end, brackets, etc..??? Or knowledge of any web site that can point me in the right direction?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior SCH Member
    No shock there. The 10 bolt barely has enough jam to hold back the raging 4.3 in my 89 G10 van. lol

Why not just get an 8.8 and fab up brackets for it? I'm betting alot of the stuff on the 10 could be used, or used as templates for what you need. The issues are the width, getting 5 lug axles that'll fit your wheels and brake mounting.

The cheapo 8.8 is TONS stronger than ANY GM 10 bolt, including the weird/rare/mythical Australian stuff.

Cheez,

F=MA

SCH Member
    Were you running a girdle?

Case flex is what kills those things. Not to say if you put a girdle on it it will last, but it will give it a better chance than it had.

Here is a quote from one of the speed shop owners on another board.

"Ditto what Rocket31 said. We have a 95 Firebird with the infamous 7.5 in it and it has seen 3 years of 1.65ish 60fts on to 12.20 ETs without breaking anything. Before we put a girdle on it it would eat a ring and pinion up every year and a half."

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    True; Case walk will kill the rearend and a girdle really helps. I ran 700ftlb of torque for 6 years with a GM 10bolt with a cast iron girdle on my Hurst Olds 455 and never a failure.

Senior SCH Member
    I had this stock rear end with my supercharger since 1999. Went to the drag strip many of times and yes, I did have the differential cover girdle. I just picked up another stock rear end with 3.23 gears, used my old posi and welded the axle tubes which will help it last a bit longer. In the mean time, I am looking for some direction on using the ford 8.8 rear end. I know I need some sort of U joint adapter, and I must fab the old brackets off of my axle tubes to the 8.8. Does the pinion sit off to the side on the ford 8.8 or is it in the center of the axle assembly? Would sure appriciate any help/direction to a site to help me fab one up!

TY:D

Senior SCH Member
    The pinion is centred on the 8.8.

F=MA