Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
C&L - Perhaps it's the problem?

Thread: C&L - Perhaps it's the problem?

Junior SCH Member

C&L - Perhaps it's the problem?

LONG POST...very sorry....but need some thoughts here.

I"m sure many of you have seen some of my various posts throughout my build-up over the last few months.....

First off, here's what I've got....stock 90' block with relatively low miles (86K). All at once, I just added Y302 heads with fresh 5-ang valve job, port work in the bowls, some slight work in the runners, all new springs, harware, etc. E-bok Performer intake (quite a bit of port work done), 1.7 RR's, 36# injectors, 70mm T-body, 75mm C&L MAF, Pro-M optimizer, 190 Walbro in-tank & T-Rex inline...already had long tubes, full exhaust, etc, etc. I topped it all off with an S-Trim that is stock (6.87) on the crank end, but 2.95 on the charger....however, one thing to note is that I am using the stock cam...I know, I know....trying to prove a point for now....will swap that next winter when I do the 331 or 347 sb.

I was finally able to fire the car for the first time yesterday. Amazingly, it fired right up, and sounded really good....no leaks, no sputter, no back-fires, etc....just a super-loud V-1!!

I set the timing at 9 degrees to be safe, and had the Optimizer set for a really safe tune. All seemed to be well until I had driven the car about 5-10 miles. I rolled into the pedal a little (not too much) from a 3rd roll, and took it up to only about 4500 or so.....it felt very healthy....but afterward, it started idling really fast....about 2200 rpm to be exact. I thought I blew a vac hose or something, but after I brought it back to the house, couldn't find anything at all that was obvious. I played with the Optimizer quite a bit more, and with it, I can get the idle to settle down, but after any drivnig it goes crazy again. I've also tried re-clocking the C&L at 11 and 2 positions, but only saw very slight difference. BTW - The C&L is out in the fender....and I have heard all of the horror stories on the C&L units. I do have a 19# sampling tube in the C&L, and I'm using the Pro-M optimizer to calibrate it to the 36 #ers.

I can kill it, then restart it, and it will idle pretty normal until I rev it a few times, and/or drive it....then it will start to hunt again, and eventually end up idling fast again....anywhere from 1500 - 2200 rpm.

One simple question....I'm thinking that I need to step up for an 80mm Pro-M meter and then trash the C&L....was wondering what some of you guys think? Do you think I would do away with this problem by ditching the C&L for a Pro-M?

Thanks for reading all of this! ...and thx for your thoughts!

Hey bud

I have a simialr issue with my car and used to use a 76mm C&L. I ordered a new 80mm N/A Pro-M. It is winter here but I will post my results once I get a chance to run this thing ! Keep me posted of your findings as well.

good luck
    ----------------
    Rock n Roll :p

Junior SCH Member
    You bet man...I'll keep you posted.

Good man , I will post on here once Pro-M is in !
    ----------------
    Rock n Roll :p