Thread: Basic H/C/I combo for a blower car??

Basic H/C/I combo for a blower car??

After saving a few pennies it's finally time for me to buy a H/C/I combo. I think I have it narrowed down...

~TFS heads, TFS intake, TFS #1 cam(or stock cam to save even more $$)

~AFR 165, TFS/Performer/Holley intake, FTI cam

~AFR 165, TFS/Performer/Holley intake, stock cam

I'm kind of leaning towards the 3rd combo because I could keep the stock cam in and save a couple bucks... But then again, the 1st combo would probably be the cheapest. I'm not looking for the best numbers or the fastest times. I want something that will be respectable and reliable. These combo's will be working with a NOVI 1000 @ 10-12 psi, 77mm MAF, 70mm TB, and 36# injectors. This is also on a T5 car.

Advice? Opinions? I'm getting a headache going back and forth on this. I would like to have everything decided pretty soon because I plan on buying at the end of Jan.
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Any of those combo's will put you in block splitting territory :D

I've seen some impressive results on here with the Holley intake and both TFS & AFR heads, most were off the shelf or stock cams also....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

How about this combo.

E-brock performers 60379's
    Stock or TFS stage 1 cam
    Holley intake

I have seen personally this combo put down 500 rwhp thru a T-5

E-brock performers 60379's - untouched
    Explorer/cobra intake - untouched
    stock cam
    Vortech S-trim
    42# injectors

Senior SCH Member
    I ran TFS track heat heads, Holley intake and the B-31 AFM cam with my Strim 12psi. It ran pretty good and layed down 474rwhp with an AOD at one time. but later on it split the crank.

But all the combo's you listed should do you just fine. But If I was you I would think about switching to 42lb injectors if your not using an FMU.
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

Yea, no FMU here. That thing never made it out of the UPS box and onto the car :) 42's would be do-able since I could get a decent price for my 36's...

I've been giving more and more thought to the Holley intake. How close is the Holley or TFS intake to hitting the stock hood? Are there any clearance problems?
    ~Dan

Lots of hood clearance with the Holley for sure. But if I were you I would get a bit smaller intake to make it more street friendly. I just found the Holley took away alot of bottom end power. I think the TFS track heat would be a good choice.

A really proven blower combo is TFS track heat heads, TFS stage 2 cam with the Track heat intake. I have seen this combo go 11.1 @ 127 with a little race gas and 24* total timing. The car still drives nice on the street.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Lots of hood clearance with the Holley for sure. But if I were you I would get a bit smaller intake to make it more street friendly. I just found the Holley took away alot of bottom end power. I think the TFS track heat would be a good choice.

A really proven blower combo is TFS track heat heads, TFS stage 2 cam with the Track heat intake. I have seen this combo go 11.1 @ 127 with a little race gas and 24* total timing. The car still drives nice on the street.

I agree with Chuck. I know the Guy with the combo he is talkin about and the car is a rocket but idles better than mine. Can't comment about Chuck's car not having any torque down low because the only time I've been in that car it was hittin 15 pounds of boost like nothing and snappin like a mad dog ! I have heard that both the Holley and RPM 2 intakes can be pretty harse down low but you have to decide what you want the vehicle for.

Good Luck
    ----------------
    Rock n Roll :p

Ditto on the intake choices. I had the holley2 and it was was a little soft down low but if your gonna keep the 5 speed you might be alright. If you wanted to save $$$ (which i never seem to do) I'd run the TFS heads and the street heat intake with your 36's.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    If you wanted to save $$$ (which i should learn to do) I'd run the TFS heads and the street heat intake with your 36's.
    That's a stong possibility. I still have to buy a MAF (my C&L has to go), throttle body, rockers, and the rest of the little crap (lifters, pushrods, gaskets, fluids, etc.). Saving a few bucks on the big stuff would make it easier to afford the little stuff. You may be onto something Brent.
    ~Dan

It'll still spin tires @ 30mph. ;)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    It'll still spin tires @ 30mph. ;)
    Mine spun the tires at 60 with the 5spd and street tires :teeth: :blob:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Ok I think I have it settled. 165's, Performer intake (port matched lower), and keeping the stock cam for now. And I'll probably sell the 36's in favor of 42's for peace of mind. If/when the time comes for a cam swap, I'll make a call to FTI and get a custom grind. I only make it to the track 3 or 4 times a year so low and midrange power is far more important to me than the top end. As soon as I can locate a deal on 165's the process will begin.
    ~Dan

Awesome! that'll be a sweet driver.....

Junior SCH Member
    Whistler, I would love to see what kind of power/track times you put down with that combo. I have the same heads and intake you do, and I'm going with a S trim eventually. I'd just like to see what it can do!

Hopefully I can get everything together and make it to the track at least a couple times this year. I'm more pumped to get a dyno tune than get track #'s. I have a feeling the 4.10's will be too steep for the 1/4. :(

The throttle body is already here and the MAF and AFR's are in transit!!!! I should start the install sometime next week.
    ~Dan