Thread: upgrading to a vr4

SCH Member

upgrading to a vr4

I have a sn2000 on my 94 gt and talked to kreig at paradise wheels about the upgrade to the vr4. He told me it is not a street blower and doesn't recomend using it on a steet car, my question is does anyone run a vr4 on a street mustang and how long they can last? its a weekend car that i only put 2500 miles on last summer. Well cause i blew it up:weird: (building a 331 need more boost than a sn2000 can give)

And any hp # with the vr4?

Thanks Ryan

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I have one with 60k+ miles and another with 90k+ miles on it and change the fluid every 3k miles and at 10psi I was making 485rwhp with a very stock combination. I have Dual-VR4s making now 980 hp on a dyno on a built engine. I built the Dual unit to put in a early model Mustang but have now changed direction and will be selling the engine and superchargers to a individual that has a 16' Speed Boat needing a race engine with a enclosed oil system. Just install a large transmission cooler even a unit like Jegs sells that comes with its on cooling fan would be perfect I myself use a transmission cooler about the same size as my radiator but a smaller unit will work but since I drive my car everyday in the spring and summer it keeps the supercharger a lot cooler. First thing that I recommend is a 8-rib belt setup to keep it from slipping. A remote cooler larger than the one that comes with the remote dipstick kit. Please remember that 8psi with a VR4 is about equal to 14psi with a 'SN' series if you could produce that much boost. This is a real common topic on this forum so do a search and you will see a lot from last summer.

SCH Member
    what size pullies on the vr4 make what kind of bost? i have an 8 rib set up now with the stock crank pully and blower pully