Thread: Does this boost number sound correct?

SCH Member

Does this boost number sound correct?

I have a Novi 2000. The blower pulley I am running is 3.5 inches with a 7 inch drive pulley. Now my motor is as follows.

306, AFR 165's, Edelbrock Performer (cleaned up), Accufab 75mm TB and EGR,
    80mm Pro M with 42lb SC calibration, 255 intank and inline (both hi pressure),
    MSD 6AL with BTM set at 1. My timing is set at 10 degrees spout in and my plugs are two heat ranges cooler and gapped at .035. Oh and I run a Power Pipe with the Bosch 110 bypass.
    custom cam
    Intake .544 lift 294 duration
    Exhaust .544 lift 302 duration
    .050 numbers: 226 intake 234 exhaust
    112 + 4 advance ground in, so I guess a 116 LC?
    1 5/8th long tube headers with ProChamber and 2 1/2 inch full exhaust.

Now the most boost I have seen is like 6 pounds. Now that is not at 6000 rpm. Havent went that high yet as I have no tune and am only using my FPR to adjust fuel pressure. Does this seem right? I was thinking of getting a 3.25 blower pulley but alot of other people are getting twice that much boost with the same pullies. Now I know that boost is just a measurement of restriction but I would like at least 10 pounds. I want to put down 400 or more at the rear. I am running an 8 rib belt and the dual tensioners. The belt seems tight. I am using the 56 inch Dayco and there is less than a half inch left for the tensioner to go before it is bottomed out. I am getting some belt dust and that is why I posted that thread earlier about the measurement.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by RoadW3@aol.com; 02-21-2005 at 02:14 AM.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You need to rid yourself of belt slip first before you can verify your WOT boost number.

SCH Member
    I am getting some belt slip but I need a key measurement to verify I have the distance. Of course no one wants to take a measurement so I am guessing.

Thanks,
    Eric

Tighten the belt up. You'll be closer to 500rwhp than 400.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    How tight should it be. Right now I cannot turn the belt more than 90 degrees on the long side.

Eric

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    My belt turns maybe 1/4" on the longest side.

6lbs is probably about right since you have aftermarket heads, intake manifold, and a bigger cam. Especially since you haven't wound it up. As for the belt dust, get some washers and play around with spacing until you aren't getting any belt dust. Have you tried the straight edge method?

SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply's. I guess my 90 degrees is about right then. I got another spacer and did a little adjusting today. Could someone with the Novi 2000 measure the distance between the back of the head unit pulley and the case where the input shaft is. That would clear everything up. I tried the straight edge except I do not have one that is long enough. The only thing I have that is long enough wont fit between my electric fan to get to the supercharger pulley. How much boost do you think I would make if I went to the 3.25 pulley versus the 3.50 I currently have? Is my cam to big for my combo?

Thanks,
    Eric

Senior SCH Member
    It will take some RPM's to get decent boost with the pulley setup. They make us run a 6.90/3.70 pulley combination is Real Street. I have seen well over 20 psi at 8300 RPM with that setup, but it only makes around 15 psi at 7000 RPM. The boost curve will start going straight up once you hit 7000.
    Last edited by RSNovi; 02-22-2005 at 02:45 PM.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

SCH Member
    Thanks. I wont be spinning my motor to anywhere near that high. I was thinking around 6000. What about an 8 inch pulley? I dont think I have the room for an 8 inch drive pulley in between my SN95 fan and waterpump pulley. So if I go with a 3.25 pulley what will my boost be at 6000 or 6250? I just dont think I will spin that baby to the moon.

Thanks,
    Eric

Senior SCH Member
    Sorry, I had to edit my previous post. I am running a 3.70 pulley.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381