Thread: E 85

SCH Member

E 85

Anyone have any idea if I could start running E 85 in the stang. It is supposed to have a fairly high octane rating not sure exacty what it is though. Its suppesed to burn cooler. Its cheaper, and renewable. Is it hard on lines filters, pums, injectors, etc? Do you use more? What should the air fuel ratio be? Im running an accel DFI gen 6 so oppening the pulse with wouldnt be a problem. Anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by 383STROKER; 04-05-2005 at 03:02 PM.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's not 85 octane is it? :shocked:
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    I was wondering about that! E 85 is a fuel alternative made from corn. Corn alcohal. It available in eastern North Dakota, not sure how widespread it is. The E=ethenal and the 85 means it's 85% ethenal blended with 15% gas. I think they put the gas in to keep people from getting drunk off the stuff. Some manufactuers make a few models that are E85 compatable but I'm not sure whats different about them.
    Last edited by 383STROKER; 04-05-2005 at 08:08 PM.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Gasoline is added so that your E85 will have a lubricant in it. I was able to get it years ago at Landmark Feed Company in my area and when they went out of business I could not find it anymore in the area. I used it my Stingrays since they had 10.5-1 compression and I kept the timing at stock and never had detonation problems or any problems with 30 year old gaskets either. Since E85 is DOT approved your ok on sensors and standard engine gaskets but you will notice on FI cars that your EGT if you have one will rise a lot more than usual at WOT and you will notice that your tail pipes will be totally clean and it could even idle a little lean which does great for emissions but on a Hi-Po car you might get a flat spot till you change the fuel map a little.

SCH Member
    Speedytang would you use it on your supercharged car if you could get it again?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Yes I would if it still has the 92-93 octane rating. It is better about keeping the engine ports clean and I even noticed a increase in MPG.

SCH Member
    Found some answers here. 100-105 octane, 5% more power, not bad! I think it would cost too much to change the fuel system though.

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85q&a.html
    Last edited by 383STROKER; 04-09-2005 at 12:36 PM.