Thread: Timing way off!! Normal??

Timing way off!! Normal??

When I first installed my NOVI1000 my harmonic balancer was spun on itself so I really couldnt tell what my initial timing was. Its been 6 months now, finally changed my balancer today. Pulled the spout shot the time it was at 6* I know its supposed to be 10* at least aint it? Now with the spout out I set it at 11* today. When i put the spout in it and checked the timing it was up to 16-17*. Is this normal? Car is running good now. Should i raise or lower my timing any??
    93 GT: NOVI 1000**Trick Flow intake**65mm throttle body**Bosch 42# injectors**90mm mass air for injectors**255 fuel pump**Kirban AFR**BBK headers**off road H pipe**2 chamber Flows**3:55 gears**Fluidyne Aluminum radiator**

Senior SCH Member
    Someone else will have to chime in, or you can try a search, about where timing should be if you have the spout in but I believe the computer will add as much as 20 degrees of timing ontop of the base timing (timing read with spout out) so be careful. I have my timing set at 19 degrees with the spout out (locking the timing at 19* at all times) with no detonation. I dont know what kind of boost you are pushing but even if its only 6lbs I dont think you will want your timing going much over 25* total on 93 octane. Good luck and have fun, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

Yeah the computer is constantly adjusting timing with the spout in. Try locking the timing @ 22 if you have stock pulleys. I ran 24 total with 10 psi and never heard a lick of spark knock, but when I took the head off there was evidance of detonation. I'd try to run it @ 8, spout in for safety. Sure it's gonna run great with 11* but you might blow a gasket on pump gas.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D