Thread: Safe boost amount on a 93 hyper stock block?

Junior SCH Member

Safe boost amount on a 93 hyper stock block?

I have a Novi 2000 on way for the car in my sig...

It comes with the stock pulley and 2 cog setups. I thought the stock was a 7" crank and a 3.5" blower pulley. Would that give me roughly 10-12 PSI? If so, wouldn't that be around 300 RWHP in my car? What's the preferred boot PSI to run a stock block to roughly 425 RWHP?

Also, I went for a ride in an 02 yesterday with an S-trim in it. It seems to create boost kinda high around 3800rpm. On these Novi 2000's with a fairly stock motor other then headers, where would I expect to have boost coming on strong?

I'm new to this forum, was very happy to find it. Seems like a lot of knowledge in here.

Thanks!!!
    1993 LX 5.0 Black interior

Polished Novi2000, 42lb FMS injectors, Edlebrock performer intake, C&L 80mm, 75mm Pro products Throttle body, BBK U/L shortys, 3:73's, Frame tied/welded, welded rear housing, Welded in tourqe box kits for up and low, Moser 31 spline axles, Auburn Pro center, UPR dbl adj uppers, UPR adj lowers, QA1's, Eibach Springs, H-pipe w/Hooker maxflows, Aeromotive regulator, Walboro 255Hi-P, FP gage, shift light, Accel coil, PMS, MSD 6AL, LM1 w/ RPM option. Glide w/pro brake, JW housing, PTC10" converter and the "wheel" flywheel.

Stick with the stock pullies if you are running a stock engine. You will see approx 10 lbs of boost at approx 5500 rpm. Boost will start at approx 2000 RPMS.

You have to remember, max boost is reached at max RPM. The higher the engine revs,the higher the boost numbers. However, boost is all relative to engine air flow and restriction. The engine is nothing but a huge air pump.

Example....

If a stone stock 5.0 (we will say a 1992) with a stock vortech s-trim kit makes 10 lbs of boost at 5800 rpms. But lets say you add a better flowing intake and better flowing heads and a cam to match the intake & heads, your boost numbers will be lower at 5800 rpms due to less restriction in the enigne. The supercharger is still making similar air flow CFM, but the boost # is lower.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Keeping hyper pistons alive is all in the tune, and avoiding detonation. I recall Lidio Iacobelli running high 9s on stock Ford Hypers via Lightning crate shortblock a few years ago. Alternative Auto's forte is in reliable street tunes, not max dyno numbers.

Cast, hyper, forged - all types of aluminum have roughly the same melting point! :^P
    Chris