Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Deal of the century?

Thread: Deal of the century?

Senior SCH Member

Deal of the century?

With the car still in paint jail, I've learned that I have less patience than I thought. So to avoid having any long down-time in the future, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Meet my back-up powerglide. I found this on a 60-something El Camino in the local salvage yard. I've already started the disassembly, and I'm amazed at it's overall condition (considering it's some 40 years old). The plan is to completely gut it and then rebuild to my specs - I plan to do the entire build on my own. Ain't life grand?

BTW - did I mention that it cost me $50 (including tax and core charge).

David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)

Senior SCH Member
    $50??? nice find indeed
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Senior SCH Member

Disassembly nearly complete

I broke my tranny cherry tonight. Most of my "used" glide is now disassembled. This thing is in pristine condition - everything looks nearly new, even the case! So far I've found a cracked washer at the back of the planet gear housing (the washer that the input shaft inserts into, not sure what its actual name is), and a damaged roller bearing (again, not sure of the actual part name here) for the shifter rooster. I still have to inspect the friction plates, but they'll likely be replaced anyways. Not bad for something that's 40 years old (assuming it hadn't been rebuilt before). Here are a couple more pics for your entertainment.

First, all the big internals:

Next, the nearly empty case (the frictions and the reverse drum still need to be yanked):

The next step will be to grind down the bell so that I can install one of the JW Ultrabells for the SB Ford. I'll let a machine shop handle that (a mans got to know his limitations).
    Last edited by David Schwarz; 06-01-2005 at 12:16 AM.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

I would hazard a guess its been rebuilt a time or two in 30 years. LOL.

the REAL question is can you get it back together once again so that it functions properly?

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobalos
    the REAL question is can you get it back together once again so that it functions properly?

Bob
    Oh - ye have little faith!! :teeth:

Not only will I get this thing back together (on my own, thank you very much), but it will be bullet proof when I get done with it. And I'll tell you this, I won't be spending $4K to make it happen.

They're really not all that complex, rather elegant in their simplicity. Whoever originally designed these things was a genius in my book.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

Quote Originally Posted by David Schwarz
    Oh - ye have little faith!! :teeth:
    I have plenty of faith, just not so much in a Rustang guy putting to gether a Glide. J/K.

They're really not all that complex, rather elegant in their simplicity. Whoever originally designed these things was a genius in my book.
    Ditto that.

When do you expect to have the thing back @ the track?

have you heard from Slug-Doug? how is his Rustang? I seem to recall you saying he was in need of a cert & needed to get his license passes done, is that still correct? I would like to see him turn up the wick on that animal & lay down a number.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

SCH Member
    Looking good David When is the car gonna be out of paint? and do you have any pics? I would love to see the color of the car.

Senior SCH Member

Lifes little mysteries

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawCamaro68
    Looking good David When is the car gonna be out of paint? and do you have any pics? I would love to see the color of the car.
    Patience young Skywalker...patience. But there aren't going to be any car pictures until it's done, been to the track, and laid down a decent pass. When that happens, I'll post photos from start to finish. I think the evolution will be more fun to see all at once.

I'm thinking that the debut will be sometime towards the end of July. I'll have a better idea when I finally get the car back from paint. That will give me time to TnT before the car makes it's PSCA True Street debut next season.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

Senior SCH Member
    ...have you heard from Slug-Doug? how is his Rustang?

Bob
    Doug's in a bit of a holding pattern right now - I think he's waiting for a set of 40 x 26" meats to handle all that juice J/K The truth is that he's still waiting to get a little hole in his motor fixed :straight:

But that's what we Mustang guys appear to be best at - waiting :laugh:
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

have you heard from Slug-Doug? how is his Rustang? I seem to recall you saying he was in need of a cert & needed to get his license passes done, is that still correct? I would like to see him turn up the wick on that animal & lay down a number.

Bob
    Unfortunately I kind of burnt 5 pistons in the motor. Its down for a little TLC, but it should be running in about 3 weeks(Ross pistons waiting time). I'm redoing the fuel side of the nitrous system, putting in a bigger cam, porting the intake, bigger injectors, boring the motor 30 thou, and so on and so on. Damn this has been an expensive car year :(.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

that sucks dude. when did you do that @ the Q?

5 pistons huh? wasent happy with just one or two? LOL.

seriously though, that thing is gonna haul the mail, when you get it running.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

Senior SCH Member

I have a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    ...it should be running in about 3 weeks(Ross pistons waiting time)
    Three weeks huh, I'll bet you even money (or at least a pack of your favorite cancer sticks) that 3 weeks becomes six, and we both end up having our cars back on the track about the same time.

But don't mind me, that's just my pessimistic side slipping through. Look on the bright side though, the more time it's down, the less it costs (at least in theory).
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

SCH Member
    I am with David on that one Ross Pistons take for ever to get them made.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schwarz
    Look on the bright side though, the more time it's down, the less it costs (at least in theory).
    not for me. every time I take it down I wanna spend money on it. If I leave it in one piece to where I "could" take it out, I dont want to mess with it. now actually taking it out................. thats another story. LOL.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com