Thread: Supercharger technical help wanted

Junior SCH Member

Supercharger technical help wanted

I have installed a S trim supercharger in my 86 stang.Here are my engine mods .Cobra upper and lower intake,65mm TB,E 303 cam.GT-40P heads,1.6 roller rockers.h beam rods and forged pistons.The car Naturally aspertated made 293 hp and 318 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels and ran a best of 12.89 @ 104 mph.I brought it to the track this weekend and only tan 12.83 @ 110. with the SC.I still run 19lbs injectors with 12:1 fmu and t-rex.I am getting 110 psi on the fuel gauge at 9 psi.I have the Msd boost retard set a 1 and timing set at 10.The car doesn't feel like there is 100 hp more like vortech advertises.Would the GT 40p heads holding me back because of the having a smaller combustion chamber?I am new to Sc and would like some advice on what i might be doing wrong.

The 104 to 110 shows you are making more power for sure. About what you would expect with 6-7lbs of boost.

As for what is holding you back the FMU should go 1st to be replaced with a set of injectors and a meter.

You can also make some gains with race fuel and lowering the BTM.

Ian

How did your 60' and 1/8 mile compare. You may be wasting much more time spinning now with more power as well. What tires are you running?

Looks like you need some more timing as well. With the BTM at 1 your are only at 2-3* at the top.
    Last edited by BLOWNBY; 08-03-2005 at 08:53 AM.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    Here,s a breakdown of i time slip from last year 60 ft 1.809,330 ft 5.372 mid mph 83.95,660 ft 8.329,990 ft 10.788 mph 103.44 ET 12.974 no supercharger. With supercharger 1.854 60 ft ,330 ft 5.381,mid mph 86.21,660 ft 8.333,990ft 10.749,Mph 109.76 ET 12.896.Both with ET streets lauching 4000 rpm.That,s not much of a emprovement for the Money i have spent.I was figuring a high 11 to low 12 Et.A buudy of mine with a small turbo and less mods them me is running 10.98.What do you mean by 2 to 3 at the top advanced or retarded total timing.Thanks for you input guys

Junior SCH Member
    I am going to put it on the dyno next week to see what numbers i come up with.If not much of improvemrent it,s will probably come off and i,ll built a 331 with good set of heads this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 CDN cobra
    I am going to put it on the dyno next week to see what numbers i come up with.If not much of improvemrent it,s will probably come off and i,ll built a 331 with good set of heads this winter.
    Are you spinning or bogging off thelaunch?

You probably are just going to need to learn how to drive it. When I started out I had 500+ rwhp and had some issues with BFG' dr's as well. I was running mid 12's spinning 1st and second. I put on some slicks and let her go was then into mid to high 11's with much better 60' and 1/8 miles. With a year or so under my belt I was running low 11's granny shifting.

Now your probably not making this much power as mine was with a 351 with timing at 30 intial with BTM at 1 also and 13 psi with 110 octane at the track. Weldon fuel pump 2015, 42# injectors with 35# of fuel pressure, FMU and SS lines and vortech rails.

So with some improvement on your launch you should see the low 12's. Plus I'd look at turning up the boost and timing as well when you get it dyno'd.
    You have a lot left in it. Plus your fuel system is going to need an upgrade. It is going to be tough to make good power on 19# injectors.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for your input Blownby.I don,t want to change pulleys yet for more boost.This unit is underwarrenty .But will upgrade to bigger injectors and go from there.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for your input Blownby.I don,t want to change pulleys yet for more boost.This unit is underwarrenty .But will upgrade to bigger injectors and go from there.
    u can change the crank pulley to an 8" from the 6.87 that came w/the kit and that w/give u a ton more boost and w/not void the warranty..There is epoxy on the sc pulley bolt that tells vortech if u have messed w/it but nothing on the crank and further if something happens u only send in the head unit....

I think simply bigger injectors and some more timing will help a lot. But like Midnight said if you are concerned about the warranty run a bigger crank. ASP makes a 7" if you only want a few more pounds of boost, or there is an 8" which will make quit a bit more. You have a setup that will handle the boost. GO FOR IT!:teeth:

FWIW: I have a stock short block with over 20 psi on it. Hyper pistons. As long as you get a good tune you will definitly be fine with the 8" crank and close to 13-15 psi and some low 11's easily if not high 10's.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

Junior SCH Member
    Will probably try that.Going to Epping N.H at the fun ford weekend in 2 weeks will be looking for a pulley there.There is a lot of vendors there.Parts are a lot cheaper there than here.Was also looking at a power pipe from anderson motor sports says it could give a other 2 psi of boost Thanks Guys will keep you posted on my runs..