Thread: TUNING ?

Senior SCH Member

TUNING ?

How are the SCT chips compared to Auto logic? Thanks
    1990 GT Convertible

92stanglx
    It seems like there are more people doing SCT tuning now than auto logic. It is very hard to get an auto logic chip tuned (at least in the SF Bay Area).

I would go with something that everyone is using so that you don't get stuck down the road

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks I am going that route I hada autologic chip last tune. But Im using a different guy this time around and hes not too crazy with Autologic stuff
    1990 GT Convertible

SCH Member
    SCT seems to be the favorite around here as well. Some diablo, no autologic.

Junior SCH Member
    I had an Autologic chip but it was of the "custom" mail order type. Burned by JMS chip. I wanted know what the exact numbers my 93 GT was producing so i took it to a SCT tuner. He replaced my Autologic chip with an SCT, and Mustang ran like absolute crap! My mustang could not hold a steady idle exhaust backfiring was present & i could feel a power loss.

The tuner said that i had issues with the ignition (MSD 6a-BTM) though i never felt any kind of issue. I never liked the MSD so replaced it with a Crane HI-6S and it STILL ran like crap! Now that i think back at it, he did not ask me any questions regarding what kind of tune i wanted. I put back the Autologic chip and all was good again.

With my ignition now changed, I'm going back to the tuner this Wednesday, to get the SCT chip adjusted correctly.

At this point, i'd lean towards Autologic. The SCT chip has not impressed me, thus far though that may change come Wednesday.

SCH Member
    The problem you had was not the fault of the SCT chip nor your ignition for that matter. The problem was that the tuner didn't correctly program your SCT chip. I've seen someone in action that knew what they were doing and even they didn't get it right the first time. It actually took about three different burns in order to get the chip just right. Once he was finished the chip smoothed out surging and idle issues my car suffered from plus brought more horsepower to the table.

Theres a big difference between an off the shelf mail order chip and a custom burned chip like SCT or diablo.

An off the shelf chip comes with a mild program that will advance the timming, maybe add a little more fuel and depending on the chip if the car is an automatic, delay shift points.

Now a custom burned chip involves putting your car on a dyno. Depending on how your car perfroms on that dyno coupled with the mods done to the car will be where your programming starts.

In the hands of someone who knows what there doing a custom burned chip can become the heart and soul of your cars performance. In the hands of someone who doesn't? Well you might as well stick with the off the shelf job.