Thread: Holy Crap!!!

Holy Crap!!!

As most of you know, I am new to this board, and have had my 1k for a year now. I came to this site looking to get more power out of my blower, and to learn what works for most everybody else. Enough of that....
    I added my Tyhpoon intake and my powerpipe last week. I got the car up and running, and it ran great. Throttle response was better than it had ever been, but I only went up to about 5psi with those additions. Keep in mind I live at 4,000ft above sea level, and the thin air sucks.
    Well today I added my F-150 pulley that I found in a local junkyard thanks to this message board and everybodies suggestion. Got the car put back together, and took a friend with for a ride. Told him to keep an eye on the boost gauge while I hammered it. Ran it through 2nd gear went into 3rd and he said 8psi. I didn't believe him, so I stayed on it in 3rd, and sure enough it sat at 8psi, if not just a little more!! I couldn't believe it! And there was no hint of detonation, yet.
    So now here comes a few questions. I ordered the bypass vavle that everybody seemed to suggest, the Saab one. Should I really get on the car anymore before I get this installed? Also, I think I am pushing the limit of my 19lbers right now, and wonder how soon I should get bigger ones? One last thing. I have about $800 to spend right now, and I am dying to get a set of Welds and some ET streets. I KNOW I should get some new injectors, get a dyno session and a chip tuned. The only problem is, the closest dyno shop is in Tucson which is close to 300 miles away. How bad do I need to get to the dyno and get a tune?
    Here is a list of mods so you have an idea what is on the car:

Typhoon intake, powerpipe, 73mm C&L, Mac shorties, off-road, 2 chamber flow catback, 4,10's, and suspension stuff which really doesn't come into play.

Sorry for the long post, but you guys have been great so far! Also, I have a discharge tube order placed with Steve, so I am waiting to put on my bypass valve at the same time.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

Senior SCH Member
    hey when you put the f-150 crank pulley on..how much room did you have betwwen the crank pulley and the water pump pulley? my stock one is pretty close as is..i was just wondering...as far as needing a dyno..as long as you like how it feels i could care less what a dyno says..id be putting injectors in that bad boy with a 255 lph fuel pump. p.s. where did you get your power pipe at? possibly a part number and a website..thanks

Actually I am glad you brought up the 255lph, I already have a Walbro 255 in the tank, I put that in just after the blower for future growth. I still have plenty of room between the 2 pulley's. Look at it this way, the f-150 pulley is 6.5" compared to the 6" I had on there, so its only a 1/4" taller than the stock one if my math is right.
    As far as the dyno session, I am not worried about how much power I make, just about the tune, and making sure I am not burning something up. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. I am actually looking at 30 or 36lbs injectors for when I do finally get my heads.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Chris, I am at 6200' so I hear you, but thats awsome you are seeing 8psi @ 4K'. If you go with high flow heads you may consider 36-42 pounders, 30's are fine for a stock engine w/ stock E-7's, but not enough for a pair of trick flows w/ 2.02/1.60 valves.

I was thinking about just ordering 36lbs injectors and doing it once. Not sure when I will be able to get the heads now, since we have our first baby on the way. I figure this set up will be running like this for a while. I just don;t want to get the 36's right now and have them be too much, but at the same time, I don;t want to be changing them out after a year or so.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

I'm on my 3rd set of injectors (including stockers), upped mine to 42's. With any luck I might actually get my car back together in time for FFW at Ennis (TX).

Junior SCH Member
    chris i knoticed you said the nearest dyno was in tucson where are you from?

Jordan,
    I live in Las Cruces, NM. Its in the southern part of the state, about 40 miles NW of El Paso, Tx. Tucson is about 280 miles from the house.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!