Thread: Old SN60V question.

Junior SCH Member

Old SN60V question.

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to a newer SNs series or Novi1000 or 2000 over my current blower.. It is working very well on my vette now , hitting 8psi at about 5500rpms, which is where I want it to be at the most.

Would I gain anything from going to a newer blower headunit?

just asking, as for the cost of having mine rebuilt with the VR4 upgrade, I could buy a used one probably..

Also anyone have any hard-facts for the SN60-V blower unit? I couldn't find any info on the web about it.. (CFM/Max rpm/psi, etc .. etc..)

Thanks..

SCH Member
    The max RPM of the SN-60 is supposed to be 31,000. It is different internally than the later units in that it uses a spring pack to keep tension on the ball drive instead of physical race shims on the later units.

The impellers are magnesium as I understand in the SN-60s, and the impellers are slightly different than the later style 89-2000 impellers. They are much lighter than the other SN style impellers.

I don't think the SN-60 is a good canidate for a VR-4 upgrade, because I don't think the spring pack is a good design to hold the needed tension on the ball drive to run the VR-4 impeller.

There are a couple of Studebaker guys that are CNC machining the SN-60 impellers to give it more CFM capability. It is just like the modded impeller that Craig sells at Paradise, but it is the original magnesium SN-60 impeller that they modify. When I bought mine for my SN-60 a couple of years ago it was under 200 bucks. I think 125 but I may be very off. John Myer, Ted Harbit and John Erb were the ones that could get the impellers.

Junior SCH Member
    Only 31K is the max rpm??? That would mean I couldn't spin past 4000rpms on the engine.. Can't b THAT low. I'm using the stock 7.5" crank pulley and the 4.25" pulley on the blower (which it came with)...

Damn...