Thread: Mass AIr and tuning

Junior SCH Member

Mass AIr and tuning

Happy New year fellow Novi owners.

Just recently installed my novi 1000 on my heads, intake, cam combo and decided to ditch the fmu and go with 42ib injectors. What do guy recommend for a mass air? I have been told that a lightning 90mm will be good as long as I get a custom chip as well as a pro-m 80mm.
    Also, I plan to run 10 psi with the 8inch crank pulley and boost pipe. Where is a good place to purchase a crank pulley? Can you get one from an f150...what years??? Last question, what should I set my timing at?

First off is the blower a single belt or 2 belt(seperate belt for blower).
    If its a 2 belt I would get an 8 inch Vortech crank pulley. It will work nice with that and a power pipe.

On a single belt set up I used to have a F150 crank pulley and a 2.75 blower pulley with a power pipe. It made 10-11#'s.

As far as timing I usually start with about 20* total and work my way up.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Junior SCH Member
    My blower is a two belt system so the vortech 8 inch crank pulley should be good. thanx. I was told that the timing should be set a 10* and the custom chip will let the computer adjust the timing within the custom burn. Is this true?? Does an 80mm pro-m sound adequate for my setup or will the 90 mm lightning be better???

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The custom chip will control your timing based on rpm and throttle position or get a tuning device that you can program yourself and uses a MAP sensor to set timing based on boost.

Junior SCH Member
    I wasn't to sure about the timing being set by a custom chip. The dealers who was informing me about the SCT chips said to set the inital timing at 10* and the chip will do the rest. He also told me that the 90mm lightning meter is a good meter for my application. What are you guys running for mass air?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The lightning meter is a good deal and at $100. I use a 80mm C&L but I would use the Lightning unit since your getting a chip.

Junior SCH Member
    I wasn't sure about the lightning mass air because AFM was totally against the unit saying it wasn;t that good and that it would be a mission to tune the car with. I don;t know if it becasue they are trying to sell me a Pro-M or what. What is you set up and power numbers on your stang??? Also, would I need to get a mafia connection for the lightning or will it handle 400 horse without pegging???

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    The custom chip will control your timing based on rpm and throttle position or get a tuning device that you can program yourself and uses a MAP sensor to set timing based on boost.

if the car's computer is 93 and older, the timing is based off RPM....

if the car's computer is 94 up, the timing is based off LOAD and RPM..
    www.kurganmotorsports.com
    WINNING races with AEM, PMS, FAST, and EPEC

N.M.R.A.
    2004 EFI Renegade B.G. Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade Bradenton Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade Kansas City Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade RT 66 Runner-Up
    2006 Drag Radial Reynolds, GA Champion
    2006 Drag Radial B.G. Champion

Email Bob@Kurganmotorsports.com or visit www.kurganmotorsports.com with your mustang needs!

Junior SCH Member
    "ifthe car's computer is 93 and older, the timing is based off RPM...."

So what this dealer is saying is true. Set the timing at 10* and let the custom chip do the rest. I am 14 hours away from a dyno to tune, so I am basing my power tuning on track time, wide band o2 and custom burnt chip. Any other suggestions??