Thread: t trim intercooler

Junior SCH Member

t trim intercooler

i saw in one of the older 5.0 mustang mags, some guy have a air to air intercooler setup on his stang. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile doing this or just leaving it non cooled? I have a v-2 t trim blower also thanks

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    It is a lot of piping on the passenger side of the motor and many bends. You will need to increase your blower speed another 2-3psi to make it up to see the same boost numbers your seeing now. If you have a tuning device the $1k might be worth it or better to sell the T-Trim and get a Procharger.

SCH Member
    Another option is water/methanol injection. Some others have reported charge cooling results, though I have not done any intake temp testing on my own setup. I do know that I can run a good amount more timing and boost with the meth/water than I could without it. I run 91 octane on the street and I blew head gaskets witout it. It's cheaper than an air/air or air/water IC system too.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I myself think the power increase and price the Meth injection is the way, but you need a tuning device to get all the benefits.

The water/meth is easy to install and easy on the wallet!! Everyone who uses a blower should have one IMO. They`re that good!
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

SCH Member
    I use a air to air cooler and I highly recommend it. My temps were 200 plus on my pms without building boost just driving around town and with the cooler ill drop almost 100 degrees. I made 635 at 5700 and 608 trq at 5000 with only 16 lbs of boost and im pullied for 20. So yes I lost some boost but boost doesnt meen more HP if the air is hot I dropped 4 lbs and still made 635 at the tire. I have a very simiular set up as NMRA real steert cars and there making in the 550 range without cooler and more boost.

Junior SCH Member
    hey wedge thats very cool do you have pics of your setup so i can see how to fabricate or is there a kit to do so

thanks
    jay

SCH Member
    Sorry no great pics all I have is in General Chat go to 4 Eyed lovers and look at engine pic. Its basically a Big *** cooler in front of radiator with 3 inch tubing. My big difference is I sent my blower to Vortech and had them switch it to a straight discharge tube. According to Noodles at Behind Barz Race Cars that alone is worth 45 degrees plus the cooler.
    1985 Mustang with 331 and a T-trim,tremec trans,3.73 gear,635 HP at 5700 and 608 trq at 5000, weight is 3180 with driver.

Junior SCH Member
    dude that is one bitchin setup by looks very tight!!!!!! I might be looking forward to doing that thanks for the pics!!!!!

SCH Member
    Thanks !
    1985 Mustang with 331 and a T-trim,tremec trans,3.73 gear,635 HP at 5700 and 608 trq at 5000, weight is 3180 with driver.