Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
stock vs 8" crank pulley

Thread: stock vs 8" crank pulley

Senior SCH Member

stock vs 8" crank pulley

whats the pros and cons.
    i worry about underdrivng my accesories but i know itll make more boost at lower rpm as well which is nice.

Im runnin a SQ trim with stock lower and 2.95 upper at the moment
    Thanks
    1990 GT Convertible

Are you getting belt slip currently? 6 or 8 rib?
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    no like we spoke about over the winter i havent really run the car hard since i did the vortech renegade bracket set up. Im going to get retuned at the end of the month. I'm guessing i was getting belt slip and now im not??? Cause there was belt dust and now i see nothing.

I just keep hearing that a 8" crank and stock upper is the way to go. I am running a 8 rib. I guess I'll see how the next pass does on the dyno. I'm pinging right now so i cant really WOT the snot out of it. And I'm sure if the dyo #'s show more power it'll prove that my belt was loose last tune as it was a new belt when I brought it in the day off.
    1990 GT Convertible

The 8" is definitly better, just a matter of wether or not you want to spend the money and mess w/ fan sroud if you have it, and mess w/ WP if you haven't.

But bigger lower is better!
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    I hear ya.

I'm runnin a electric fan and I'd need a 93 pulley for the wp as well if i were to do it.

I have a funny feelin that my belt wasn't tight when it was tuned last. I know a day after I got it back and thought abou tit the belt wasnt all that tight it must of stretched as it was new and no one picked up on it. May have been why it kinda leveled at the 5200rpm range when the motor was built to pull up higher. Well see. Id think I should see 14-15 lbs with a 2.95 and stock lower granted the motor has some more cubes and better flowing heads intake than last set up i had so I may not see it on my guage.

How much more does that set up spin the blower? vs my current pulley confiruration. I want the car to make power but wold that set up make power not only early on but much more overall as well? it mostly is a street car.
    1990 GT Convertible

It depends on what pullies you be running. If you pulley it w/ the 8" to run a larger SC pulley yet will spin the blower the same then the boost will be about the same or a little more due to less slip...assuming your getting it now.

How tight are you torwqueing your belt.....

You have way to many variables going on here for accurate info. Anyway a 2.95 upper should be fine w/ the boost your making, but a 8" lower and a 3.33 upper on tight will make tons of boost w/ no slip!

If you have money and want ot swap out your WP pulley then get the 8" lower!

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

8"/3.33" is the way to go. Not only will it give you better belt coverage, but boost will come on quicker and will increase quicker through the power band. There is NO comparison between the two setups. Running a stock lower with a small upper will not yield you the same results across the band as running the bigger lower will..
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRunnr
    8"/3.33" is the way to go. Not only will it give you better belt coverage, but boost will come on quicker and will increase quicker through the power band. There is NO comparison between the two setups. Running a stock lower with a small upper will not yield you the same results across the band as running the bigger lower will..
    check your email
    1990 GT Convertible

Senior SCH Member
    OK im going with a 8"/3.33 renegade set up on a vortech unit. What serpentine belt size would I need?
    SC belt size would be a 54.5??
    I'm runnin a 130 amp PA alt, 93 wp pulley, and AC
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by tstang; 04-13-2006 at 02:27 PM.
    1990 GT Convertible