Thread: General SN Question

Junior SCH Member

Question General SN Question

Ok, first off I just got a SN92 that had been previously rebuilt that I will be putting on my 89 Mustang after I get smogged. For now I will stick with it but I'm sure I will upgrade to a VR4 soon after.

I have done a lot of research on the SN s/c and all I hear from people with newer s/c is that the SN series doesn't last that long and will break. I have though seen many people with SNs going 100K miles w/o a rebuild. I myself believe that the SNs are good and will last as long as you don't spin them past their capabilities.

So I guess my question is why do many people say that the Sn series s/c are crap?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Because they put a 3" pulley on the unit and took the engine to 6k rpm and the unit failed. I have seen the Vortech units fail under the same conditions because of problems. I have combined mileage over 125k miles now on my units with no failures and I put out more power at lower engine rpm then those with a Novi 2000. If the unit is set up correctly you will get 8psi out of the 'SN' and 50k+ miles on a unit you can rebuild yourself.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Speedy, thats exactly what I thought. How would I set it up to get 8psi? Also is there anywhere else I can get the VR4 upgrade besides Paradise? I talked to Craig and he said he won't mank anymore until theres more interest.

If you have a modified engine list what you have engine,transmission and gears.

Junior SCH Member
    Stock block
    GT40P Heads
    TFS Stage 1 Cam
    Performer Intake
    255 LPH pump
    19lbs injectors (Not sure what I want to upgrade to yet)
    All the usual bolt ons
    T5
    3:55s
    Last edited by JBeezy53; 04-25-2006 at 12:36 PM.

What size is the lower crank pulley for the blower

Junior SCH Member
    6" Crank Pulley
    6" Water Pump Pulley
    4 1/4" and 4" S/C Pulley

Get at least 36lb injectors and trash the FMU to get a good fuel curve. With a 6" crank your going to need a 3.75 blower pulley to get 8psi and shift at 5800 rpm.

Senior SCH Member
    http://www.superchargerhelp.com/showthread.php?t=4907

SEE ABOVE THREAD FOR A HELPFUL SPREADSHEET AND CHANGE VALUES TO CALCULATE YOUR BLOWER RPM'S. THAT COMBINATION WILL PUSH YOU ABOVE 39,000 RPM's (STATED MAXIMUM RPM FOR A SN SUPERCHARGER). SHIFT BEFORE 5500 RPM (ENGINE) TO KEEP IT SAFE.

With your Cam and Heads you must take it to 5800rpm to get the numbers(Horsepower)you will only be over spinning the unit for 3-5 seconds between shifts.

I though I read somewhere that the max blower speed on the sn was 39k but later re-rated to 42 or 45k due to the 3 lip seal not tearing itself apart...