Thread: blown head gasket?

Junior SCH Member

blown head gasket?

Took the car in to get tuned and they diagnosed a blown head gasket..
    Compression test showed all cyl's at 160psi except no.1 which was at 140psi.
    They did a radiator gas test and that showed positive.
    It doesnt overheat. temps are low always and there does'nt seem to be radiatior pressurisation..
    does this really mean a blown gasket or is it just slow weeping compression in to the coolant?
    Do i start ripping it down in the morning or not? (Stock heads, stock gaskets)

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    That PSI test is about in range. It could even be the lower intake gasket because your not showing any of the signs that point to a head gasket.
    Last edited by speedytang; 06-21-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    will the upper intake gasket still show a positive on the radiator gas test. wouldnt it still be oxygen only at this point. and a head gasket showing carbon monoxide/dioxide which ever it is.. (and did you mean lower intake gasket?) i did recently just install a new intake

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Corrected - Lower Intake Gasket and Upper if the EGR port did not seal correctly.

Senior SCH Member
    It's likely done a classic small block ford burnthrough to the upper coolant passages. It won't show as a big performance deficit but, it's blown nonetheless.

Hell, I drove my car like that for over a year once. Even went to the track a few times. :^)

F=MA