Thread: Strange Power Loss Issue

Junior SCH Member

Strange Power Loss Issue

Seeking help on a rather strange problem. The vehicle (89 mustang with a 306, H/C/I and vortech) sat for about three weeks. Started up ok to come to work one day. First place I went was gas station, filled up with premium and started towards work. Thought it was running a little funny. Then noticed that I had little power, and it would basically fall flat on its face above 3000 RPM.

Got to work okay, almost sounded like it was running with the spout out and getting no timing advance. Went out at lunchtime, checked to make sure the spout was in and all connections tight. Loosened gas cap too. Cleaned terminals inside distributor cap and the rotor. Took it for a ride, seemed okay. Ran great for the ride home and a few errands that evening.

This morning, did the same thing. My fuel pressure seems about 35 psig, getting no check engine light. Vacuum okay at about 14 inches at idle. Seems to want to run hot, like around 210. Checked the air filter, checked the MAF connections, checked the hoses to/from the blower. Not running rich, seems to be hitting on all 8 cylinders. No smoke, white, black, blue or otherwise out the tailpipes. Checked the connections on ignition wires, the 6 al box, and the BTM and all seemed okay. Checked all vacuum hoses, no issues there.

At first, thought it was a bad batch of gas - and this may have been the first tank of e-10 it got. But the problem comes and goes so that kind of rules out fuel quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Charlie

This may sound crazy...but try another distributor.....I had a guy on the AEM forums that had issues at 3000 also (couldnt rev past 3000)....he tried everything...then put in a reman dist and it fixed it.....its worth a try...or check all the internals of the dist including the TFI ( grey thing on the dist)....let us all know....this has me wondering

hope this helps

Mike
    NEW BEST 9.66 @141.02 best mph 141.73 mph!
    AEM tuned by ME!

http://www.mikeymustang.com

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Disconnect the MSD then see if it runs better. I have had this problem when a MSD product is going out. Usually happens after the unit gets warm.