Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
who made his own oil cooler?

Thread: who made his own oil cooler?

SCH Member

Red face who made his own oil cooler?

I would like to get myself an oil cooler to extend the life of my unit and wa wondering what you guys used to make it...

I own a machine shop so I can do almost anything there, I'll have to work something for the dipstick for sure...

I was thinking about drilling and tapping a hole at the bottom of the blower, screw a small elbow there, use a tranny cooler, have the return line conected into the dipstick machined for this special use.

Let me know what you guys did to COOL it down ;)

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    I did it once on another SN 89.
    I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom but away from the oil pickup and also on the side of the blower case just above the max level.
    That way you can keep the dipstick.
    That guy is still driving around so it works.
    But perhaps it is better to make some sort of screen under the oil pickup so that not all oil get sucked away to the cooler.
    Use a small electric fuel pump with clear filter and large tranny cooler.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    Thanks for the input,

do you used an fuel filter?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Yes, that way can see it is working and you see instantly metal scrapings if something go wrong.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    go myself a tranny cooler kit, new inline fuel pump and filter. I've got a picture from Paxton coolers at $250 and it's exactly what i bought. I looked at it for a while and figured all the way what the dipstick trick is ;) I'll machine one this week and if some people want to get some in the future I'll make other ones.

I'll keep you guys updated ;)

SCH Member
    cooler and pump have been installed in the car, just need to machine the dipstick when i'll have some time ;)