Thread: Something is making a noise

Junior SCH Member

Question Something is making a noise

Does anyone know how loud an SN93 should be? I can hear a whine not a whisle, when the engine is underload and making boost. Or could this be the transmission. I know theses T-5 can't take alot of touque. But I can hear this whine in all 5 gears. Thanks for your help!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Usually a 'SN' makes little noise and it would be more of a whistle. I would take the belt off and see if the noise stops and hand turn the pulley and see if it still turns smoothly.

Senior SCH Member
    You should in no way be able to hear an SN over the noise of a decently exhausted 5.0, from inside the car. I hear, with the hood up, idling, a mild buzzing sound from the blower and that's it.

Off topic, T5s take more abuse than they get credit for. I'm still on the oem 1988 T5 and I have a pack of timelips for this car 2" thick, mostly on slicks and mostly with a power adder. People ***** about how weak the part is when a stock transmission busts at double the stock engine output; it really baffles me. Put a decent shifter on them and they can last. If you're busting them regularly under 400 horse, you can't drive stick.

The whine like a busted power steering pump is a classic signal the Pax is on its way out. As Speedy says, take the belt off and see that it spins smoothly but tight. ANY notchiness means a wasted race or balls/shaft and rebuild time. Don't panic however, it's pretty easy and can be cheap too, depending on what's FU. Cost me $50 for 2 used races from Craig and everything else went back in as it was. WCS, $450 to replace every part in the drive unit.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    f=ma, when you say you shouldn't be able to hear the blower over the exhaust, do you mean at idle?

My sn92 was really quiet at idle, but when I got on it, at higher RPM's it sounded kinda like a turbo. Still not loud, but noticable.

Granted my races were a little pitted, and I don't have it back together yet so I don't know if it will be quieter.

I always asumed you should be able to hear it when it was spinning fast.

Jeff

Senior SCH Member
    It's definetely no YS-trim or Procharger. I'm running a barbaric old '88 so, noise isolation isn't so hot and a blower-assisted push through an off-road H pipe and 2 chamber Flows isn't going to allow much other noise to filter in. Yours sounds like what I'd expect if you're running a somewhat more sophisticated package than mine.

"Pitted race sound" is nothing like blower whine; more like "busted power steeering pump".

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    f=ma, ah yes, there definitely is a difference between your offroad h-pipe 2-chamber setup, and my stock h-pipe 3-chamber setup. I've had your exhaust setup on past cars, and I'm pretty damn sure I couldn't have heard my SN over them. :) I'm not sure I would call my setup more sophisticated, just more "neighbor friendly" and less "cop bait". :teeth:

My pitted race wasn't making a whine yet that I had noticed, I just noticed the slight pitting when I was replacing the balls. I tore it apart because of a slight clunk sound, and the pully not turning smoothly.

Jeff

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    You should in no way be able to hear an SN over the noise of a decently exhausted 5.0, from inside the car. I hear, with the hood up, idling, a mild buzzing sound from the blower and that's it.

Off topic, T5s take more abuse than they get credit for. I'm still on the oem 1988 T5 and I have a pack of timelips for this car 2" thick, mostly on slicks and mostly with a power adder. People ***** about how weak the part is when a stock transmission busts at double the stock engine output; it really baffles me. Put a decent shifter on them and they can last. If you're busting them regularly under 400 horse, you can't drive stick.

The whine like a busted power steering pump is a classic signal the Pax is on its way out. As Speedy says, take the belt off and see that it spins smoothly but tight. ANY notchiness means a wasted race or balls/shaft and rebuild time. Don't panic however, it's pretty easy and can be cheap too, depending on what's FU. Cost me $50 for 2 used races from Craig and everything else went back in as it was. WCS, $450 to replace every part in the drive unit.

F=MA
    Ok I have no problem driving a stick. I have been driving a stick for over twenty years.And yes I do have a pro 5.0 shifter. Mine has not blown up yet, but I have seen these T-5 letgo. And right now I am having a problem going into reverse. But like speedy and the others said I will check the paxton with the belt off and also the P/S pump.

Junior SCH Member
    Ok found problem with powersteering pump.Has been on the engine since 86 and I did not replace it after the engine rebuild. F=MA you were correct. thanks for the help and everyone else.