Thread: Hi all, new guy with a question...

Junior SCH Member

Hi all, new guy with a question...

I have a SN- something or other (I haven't identified it yet) and when I took it apart, it was obvious it needed a new spindle. The current one is pitted terribly. The pully moves roughly, nothing smooth about it at all. The rest of the parts all looked good- the balls look perfect to my eyes. There's my question, is it going to be necessary to replace the balls because the spindle is damaged? They look fine, but are they??? Also, anyone know where I can pick up a replacement spindle cheap and lasty are there any online manuals or diagrams for the SN superchargers? (I did a forum search and didn't see anything).

Best,
    Nathan:famous:

Senior SCH Member
    I"m not sure what your calling the spindel? First off, usually the balls go bad. You can not see deformity of the balls with the eye, micrometer is needed to measure, and even that is difficult. The hour glass shape that sits in the center is the output shaft, if you have any divits in that, it needs to be replaces as well as the balls! If the races have any divits, they will need to be replaced. Call Paradise wheels for parts. They sell used and new parts, I made the mistake of purchasing used parts, but the only used parts worth getting are the races, balls and impeller shaft should be new...from my experience. You definately have an older SN unit, which one????? You can get new decals for your blower from paradise wheels too.

I too am one of the few chevy guys here. If you want to do your vett justice, get a set of AFR heads! Trick flow are good, but workmanship is to be desired...from my experience. I had the twisted wedge heads, peformed great, but were crap for workmanship! AFR's are just a little more $$$ with way better qualiy and performance...from my experience. I have heard the trickflow...non twisted wedge heads are OK. But for 3 bills more, get the best;)

Junior SCH Member
    By spindle I meant the output shaft. It's in bad shape. I don't know what model mine is but I'd like to find out. There's a plate on it with writing but I havent had a chance to go out and look. I do know it says Paxton but I don't recall seeing a model number (last time I was in there I didn't even know it wa a SN series). So I should probably go for the full rebuid kit huh?

Junior SCH Member
    This is how to tell right? (see pic)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ncook; 07-19-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Like it says on the case, the model is "SN89". You will need to know what model it is to order the rebuild kit. I think the full rebuild kit is about $450 through Paradise Wheels, and it definitely sounds like that is what you need.

Jeff

Junior SCH Member
    Yep, I think thats what Ill do. I cant wait to feel this thing in action.

Junior SCH Member

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownsilver86
    You sir, have very good taste. What year is your vette?

EDIT: wait let me guess, '86? Any more pics?

Junior SCH Member

Very nice. Is that a custom intake manifold? I've never seen one like that. Here's a few of mine...

http://www.necom.biz/members/DSCN1904.JPG
    http://www.necom.biz/members/DSCN1905.JPG
    http://www.necom.biz/members/DSCN1906.JPG

I wish my engine was as clean as yours.

Junior SCH Member
    Sweet. Well, the lower intake is a TPIS Big Mouth, ported upper plenum, and the runners are Edelbrock Hi-flo's (since removed and sent to Australia of all places). The Edelbrock's broke while installing, but I also found that they ere twice the weight of the stockers, and interfered with my injectors and vacuum lines. The stocker are back on now, figure I may get another half pound of boost or so out of the swap. While I was setting up the engine, I repainted the original valve covers, intake, etc...