Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
what happened?

Thread: what happened?

Junior SCH Member

what happened?

I have only had my SN93 on my mustang for about a week. In that amount of time I probably put about 5 miles on it. The guy that I got it from had it on his car for years with no problems. Yesterday I added a little ATF to it because it was just a tad bit low. Today I started it up and it sounds like a power steering pump with no fluid in it. I guess the guy I got it from alway used B&M trick shift. Obviously the bearings and races are pitted now, but I don't know why this happened. Does mixing synthetic fluid with non syn. fluid cause foaming or something? Also, with the belt off, if I rotate the pulley back and forth, I can hear a clunk inside when the direction is changed.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Sounds like one of the balls has a chunk missing. Your races and everything are probably fine. Take it apart and you probably just need to replace the Balls. Trick Shift comes in a Syn and Non-Syn formula. Syn ATF does mix with standard ATF. I don't remember, Did you take this unit apart before you installed it. I am going to guess one of the balls had a nick in it.

Junior SCH Member
    one of the roll pins that hold the races came loose. The balls look good but one of the races has a nasty nick in it. I'll put new balls and races in it tomorrow.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Does your unit have dual pins for each race or one? I never have had a problem but others have, I would recommend putting locktite on the pin when you put it in.

Junior SCH Member
    one pin on each race. I will definately use loc-tite.
    I had to drill out the six rivets on the front of the blower to get to the cap screws that hold the unit together. Those rivet things have an O ring in them that is obviously to keep seeping oil contained, when they are compressed. Can I use a little bit on high temp permatex on the head of the cap screws intstead of usin the rivets?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speadfreak
    one pin on each race. I will definately use loc-tite.
    I had to drill out the six rivets on the front of the blower to get to the cap screws that hold the unit together. Those rivet things have an O ring in them that is obviously to keep seeping oil contained, when they are compressed. Can I use a little bit on high temp permatex on the head of the cap screws intstead of usin the rivets?
    You can do that, I did not and also did not reuse the covers with O rings and it does not leak at all.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw