Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
VR4 Preload

Thread: VR4 Preload

SCH Member

Arrow VR4 Preload

How much preload should be set on a VR4 unit? Just want to check if the unit i got is set right... I did some search and came up with 45 to 60 inch preload depending on the threads.

This blower is very hard to turn by hand but I was told it's normal on the VR4's

Thanks for your recommendations!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Mine is set at 54inlbs with the rear seal installed and the rear seal lubricated for less drag.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Mine at 49 inlbs
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    okay thanks guys! I'll check back for 50-54 inlbs

SCH Member
    okay, I check this unit and here is the result. I got on a steady turn about 60 to 62 inch-pounds with a snap-on torqometer. The unit was all assembled with no fluid in there. Do I do the procedure right by turning with the torqometer and looking at the lower number I'm getting from a steady turning action...

Do you recommend to get the readings with fluid in the unit?

Previous owner said it was upgraded from sn-93 to VR-4 by Paradise and that it was never used since... If it was going on your car, would you take it appart to see ho are the internals?

does a higher inch-pound will put more stress on the VR-4?

Thanks for your help ;)

I always soak the balls and the rear seal before I take my reading.

SCH Member
    okay, there was still trace of oil in there but I'll try back with the oil filled in.

I just make sure the internals are not dry because of drag and I don't fill the unit either because of drag. I have run my race units with higher inlb. but not on the street because of keeping the fluid cool enough.

SCH Member
    Okay, I see ;)

I guess I'll also tear it apart to see how is everything in there even if the previous owner told me it was just rebuild by Paradise.