Thread: OK IM BACK........

Junior SCH Member

OK IM BACK........

so hooked up my guage from the vacuum port on the mani on my 94 t/a with the sn-2000. I have 20lbs of vacuum. My question is or my issue.......i do not start blowing oil until im making boost (about 2lbs), i also do not have a btm box installed (just got one though) Would that advanced timing be causing some of this leaking at all?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You should not be blowing oil till boost because when in boost your putting positive pressure into your engine as talked about in your earlier postings. I did not follow much of the earlier posting but your passing boost/pressure past emission equipment or your rings. Timing has nothing to do with that problem but if you don't hook up that fuel management unit and the timing retard you will be having fun replacing engine parts. Stay out of boost till you get the car done. LOL

Junior SCH Member
    yeah thats what i figured, i havent hit anything past 1/2 throttle for the past month and its killing me. Just got the btm, so now i can hook up the superfueler, and im thowing 1.6rr on also. I may take the blower belt off for a bit and see how the 1.6's make a diff. Im def doing a rebuild this winter with forged internals, im really sick of smelling oil. LOL

for more of a daily driver, whats you guy's opinions on motors this winter.......383 or 355. Im thinking cost at this point but im not gonna cheapskate on any parts

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Can't beat Cubic Inches...383

Senior SCH Member
    Keep in mind that "2 pounds of boost" is PSIG or "guage" which means you've overcome the engine vacuum, as well as added 2 pounds. So, that's alot of pressure on the rings and seals. Timing isn't your issue, though poor tuning may have been the cause of all the blowby. Or not. Your engine's sealing condition needs to be verified by leakdown test. Then, if it passes that, you can continue to fiddle around with crakcase ventilation until you can sort this out.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    hey sorry i havent been on in a few days, i know i need to do a leakdown teste for sure. Just today i added a new MAF and my ses light went away. The cars runs much better and doesnt seem to blolw as much oil when pos pressure is on. But im still staying away from the boost till i have the btm installed and the superfueler on for now.