Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Spark plug gap question. Attn. speedytang

Thread: Spark plug gap question. Attn. speedytang

SCH Member

Spark plug gap question. Attn. speedytang

Greetings,

In a previous thread I believe you had mentioned that a plug gap of .032" would be beneficial to keep the spark from blowing out. I am having difficulty understanding the role of spark intensity, gap, spark duration and timing in supercharged vehicles. I was under the belief that spark enhancing products were somewhat of a 'snake oil' product that would not increase horsepower like the advertisers would like us to believe.
    I am of the understanding that once gasoline is lit it burns. If the gasoline is lit, no amount of spark should make it light more. Spark products to me have always seemed like more of a gimmik than a solution. I also have trouble with multiple spark discharge systems. Again if the mixture is lit, why would you want to try to burn unburned gases other than for emissions.
    I don't understand spark theory in real world situations and I'm sure you can explain what works and what doesn't.
    Would a smaller gap reduce the spark energy? I thought a larger gap would be more intense.
    Do spark plugs really make a difference?

Thank you,
    Mike

Senior SCH Member
    You should run as wide a gap as the motor will let you without blowing out under boost, because a small spark kernel can have trouble firing off highly dense mixtures. Multi-spark discharge increases spark dwell time to insure that the mixture is actually lit the once that matters. The reason OEMs don't use this is the attendant decrease in plug life pisses off Aunt Edna in her Buick. The technology dates back to aircraft recip engines. Having twin mags produces an effect similar to multiple spark discharge.

The ferocious pressures in a combustion chamber make spark behave very strangely compared to zapping the gap in atmo. The pressure can actually stop the spark energy from leaping the gap.

New spark plugs make a difference....

P51C

SCH Member
    Thank you

The more I learn the more I realize what I don't know

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Well thats covered I can go back and get another Beer. Thank F=MA

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Well thats covered I can go back and get another Beer. Thank F=MA

:teeth: :teeth:
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    I'm out right now. Drink one for me. lol.

SCH Member
    i have actually dont dyno testing with plug gaps quite a bit... My car made thoe most HP and SMOOTHEST graph with a plug gap of .025... this was on a 1122rwhp blown combo. It actually lost about 10hp going to .030... i was running NGK plugs and an MSD 7531 / 8261 box/coil combo... i finally tried the Denso iridium plugs and picked up over 5avg hp..
    www.kurganmotorsports.com
    WINNING races with AEM, PMS, FAST, and EPEC

N.M.R.A.
    2004 EFI Renegade B.G. Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade Bradenton Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade Kansas City Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade RT 66 Runner-Up
    2006 Drag Radial Reynolds, GA Champion
    2006 Drag Radial B.G. Champion

Email Bob@Kurganmotorsports.com or visit www.kurganmotorsports.com with your mustang needs!

Senior SCH Member
    Good, you illustrate my point with experiemntal evidence. Run as much gap as you can without blowing the spark out. Clearly increasing the gap led to some misses, weakening the power output. Bet the a/f was all over the place with the higher gap and the BSFC was whacky, too.

F=MA