Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
high RPM issues....

Thread: high RPM issues....

Junior SCH Member 383backinblack's Avatar

high RPM issues....

thought id run this by some people and get some theories......it appears the motor is blowing the spark out above 6200rpm on the dyno, but the gap is already at .028.

its a 383sbc with an f1R, AFR 210cc fully cnc'd heads, 8.5:1 compression, and a comp solid roller thats 262/272 at .050 and .631 lift.....on a 114LSA. We intended this motor to pull to 7500rpm, and notwithstanding the misfiring, the damn thing is falling off after 6500rpm......not sure why......the blower is pullied to max out at 7500rpm, so the boost should still be forcing more power out of the motor.

the ignition is an MSD digital 7 with boost retard (3bar map sensor) and i have 35deg of total timing locked out, and the box is pulling timing based on boost pressure. (its not pulling a ton, because its not getting above 15-20psi)

the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are all brand new, huge MSD race coil etc.

Heres a dyno graph so you can see what im talking about.....

the thing is obviously very strong up to that point......truth be told, its making as much power at 6500rpm as i expected it to make at 7500 rpm.....so frighteninly, it should be making way more power lol......the biggest concern is that the car is geared and tired for 7500rpm at 145+mph at the track.....so 6500 aint gonna get it done.

2 of my theories so far, are the methanol is up to high, and its F-in with the spark.......(2) 375ml nozzles........the other is that dynamic compression is just too damn low, and its not gonna make power up top......i dont really know.

i was toying with the idea of putting the 40 tooth cog back on the blower, so its maxed at 6500rpm, and see if the problem happens earlier in the RPM band so that we can determine if its boost related........if that turns out not to be the case, it'll make STUPID power with that cog on it lol...

so what do people think? any ideas?

Junior SCH Member
    How much boost are you at when the trouble occurs?
    whats the spring rate of your valvesprings?
    could it be valve float?
    i had a similar problem with my car
    good luck

Junior SCH Member 383backinblack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thenotch88
    How much boost are you at when the trouble occurs?
    whats the spring rate of your valvesprings?
    could it be valve float?
    i had a similar problem with my car
    good luck
    its around 20psi.....the springs are over 400lbs.....i can't find the spec right now for some reason......I highly doubt its valve float.....i've been well aquainted with it back in the day lol, and thats not what it feels like

unfortunately, this afternoon my ATI superdamper, with dual keyways decided it needed to twist itself :weird: now i have to get a new hub from ATI, and pray the crank snout is ok.....dammit
    Now Blown & Stroked :evil:
    Operation: "they shoulda neva gave us nigga's money" has begun

91 Camaro RS - F1-R Procharged 383 stroker
    10.175 @ 138.09mph (more to come)
    60' - 1.433
    827.08HP - 688.38ft/lbs RWHP