Thread: Supercharger no power part 2

SCH Member

Supercharger no power part 2

Just an update on my car's troubles and what I know so far. Compression tests showed 150psi on the lowest and 165psi on the highest give or take a couple of pounds in between. Spark plugs were inspected and all were fuel fouled some except #8 which was oilly. Compression on that one was 150-155 so it may be stem seals. The plugs, autolite 25's are new and gapped to .032" and the wires are new 8mm motorcrafts. Timing was bumped to 16 degrees btdc with the spout disconnected. The fuel pressure was adjusted from 50psi to 42psi with the vacuum line disconnected. The lowest obtainable with the bbk regulator. The paxton fcu has a large disk in it but no numbers on it. Fuel pressure during wot throttle with no speed shifting was 70 psi during the 1-2 shift and 65psi during the 2-3 shift. The rpms were probably at 5000 on the 1-2 and 4800 on the 2-3. It is extremely difficult to see the rpms on the digital bar tach. I'll have to mount a tach on the dash or column. The boost test was run last since it was working ok before. During the normal wot shifts 2-2.5 psi and holding 1st gear 3.5psi tops at 6000rpm. Fuel pressure during that test went close to 80psi. I'm hoping belt slippage since the belt adjuster was bottomed out. Nevertheless, the motor felt stronger than it had during the 1/4 mile. The surge at idle is still there and maybe a little worse. Could the advance make it seem worse. I am going to change all the vacuum lines in case of a leak or collapsed line. I don't believe I mentioned that the factory ho cam was retarded 4 degrees and a 160 degree thermostat was installed. I hope to change the thermostat since it may be causing the eec to stay in open loop. I don't think cam phasing will be adjusted to straight up unless someone really believes it will help. The bucking on light decell only, seems to be coming from either the rear end or transmission. This is only a guess but it feel like the gears are not "catching up" like there is too much slack. Anyway, with all of the stuff that needs to be done, it doesn't seem like I'll make it to the track this week. Nevertheless, it seems to be running better. Maybe a small battle was won this weekend. ;)

SCH Member

Fuel pressure maximum

Hopefully, I cant get this thing running right and you all probably know best.;)
    What is the maximum fuel pressure I should be seeing for a sn2000 with 5-6psi of boost, #19 inj. on a stock speed density 5.0L ho?
    Is 16 btdc too much timing with 93 octane and added octane boost?
    Is 15" of vacuum at idle in neutral @800rpms too low? and if I block all of the vacuum sources except the map line should my vacuum raise? I was wondering if retarding the cam is hurting vacuum and drivability? :shocked:

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Retarding your cam did effect your vacuum. You will have less vacuum so on a Speed Density car that is a No-No. You don't need all that timing advance and since 99.9% of all octane boost is a joke your just wasting more money on top of that expensive 93 octane. Put your timing at 10 degrees and you will be more than fine with 91-93 octane and 6psi. At WOT and 6psi you would see fuel pressure of 60-70psi.