Thread: New SN times

Senior SCH Member

New SN times

I'm starting to get a handle on launching a blower car. Much harder than on the jug or turbos, that's for sure. Car's settling in at the low end of 13s or high 12s. Car is, I think, capable of high to mid 12s on its current setup at this weight.

Car is making 320 horses on 5 pounds of boost and weighs in at 3350 race weight. Basically a stock 5.0 with a ported lower and 1.7 roller rockers. I am still breaking in the drag radials so, 60' times aren't where I like them to be but, the car is busting out the back end at 107+ mph. I feel solid 12s are in order if I can get the 60' under 1.8 sec. I'd be happy with that as, I have enough bills as it is.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    That's a great time.

Our Australian Ford (Falcon / Fairmont) 5.0 are stock 16 second cars. I have managed a 14.7 with the SN93 at 4psi boost.

The Aussie fords are slow because they are very heavy compared to your cars (over 4000 pounds).

I dream of getting in the 13's.....12's are just unrealistic with all this weight.

Well done.:)

SCH Member
    What tranny?

Senior SCH Member
    A very well-used 1988 T5 5 speed. Last original part in the driveline. :happy:

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    A very well-used 1988 T5 5 speed. Last original part in the driveline. :happy:

F=MA
    Not for long... *BOOM!* :D

Jeff

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I put 70k miles and 600hp on my T5 and it had a total of 145k miles before I lost 5th gear so if you don't use slicks and power shift it will last.

Senior SCH Member
    I've got hundreds of passes on slicks on it, 11 years and counting. Most on a power adder. I don't have any complaints about T5 durability. A good shifter, change the fluid every year, they'll hold up my 320-350 horse forever.

Meh, it'll probably blow tomorrow cuz I said that.

F=MA

Road Racing put more stress on my transmission then drag racing did. The stock T5 just needs better shifting forks. I finally took apart my original T5 and will be putting a G-Force kit into it to use daily and for track events with my Twin Turbos.

Senior SCH Member
    What can kill them in a flash is powershifting, especially without a positive stop shifter, cuz of those shifter forks. However, that's true of pretty much any stock gearbox in any car. People bitching about T5 "weakness" when they are ramming more than double the stock engine output through the trans clearly didn't grow up in the 70s with all the marvelous glass transmissions available then. Let's see, Saginaw 4 speed, Ford ROD and SROD, etc. all "performance" MT of the time. :cry:

Never really a problem with the transmission but breaking 5th gear after beating the crap out of it for 17 years and hitting boost on a main straight in 5th blows the trans. Who would have ever thought. LOL