Thread: Will my injectors be enought for my setup?

Junior SCH Member

Will my injectors be enought for my setup?

Right now i have a
    92 Mustang
    TFS heads/intake and stage one cam
    24lb injectors
    255 pump
    Meaga Squirt Stand alone

I have a SN-92 (upgraded impeller)kit I am putting on with a 3.75 pulley on the head unit. A 6inch SC pulley with a underdrive crank pulley all one piece. From what i hear this will give me max boost for this kit. But if my injectors arent big enough i will go to the stock size on the SC.. Until i get bigger injectors.. Please let me know so i know what i need to do in advance.
    thanks
    Paul

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92notch View Post
    Right now i have a
    92 Mustang
    TFS heads/intake and stage one cam
    24lb injectors
    255 pump
    Meaga Squirt Stand alone

I have a SN-92 (upgraded impeller)kit I am putting on with a 3.75 pulley on the head unit. A 6inch SC pulley with a underdrive crank pulley all one piece. From what i hear this will give me max boost for this kit. But if my injectors arent big enough i will go to the stock size on the SC.. Until i get bigger injectors.. Please let me know so i know what i need to do in advance.
    thanks
    Paul
    I will not be using an FMU because i have the megasquirt to control the fuel Via my laptop like any other stand alone

SCH Member
    Although my supercharger and tweecer are not set up, I would venture to say that the 24# inj. would be good to approximately 350hp. Most likely that number is at the flywheel. Judging by your combo, your horsepower would be well over that. A general rule of thumb, is to go 1 size bigger injector than you need. Looks like 42#'s for you; however, it's not impossible to run those injectors. FoMoCo injectors are rated at 40psi, and most injectors can be run up to 65psi, anything over that and they may go static and kill your motor! If you do run those injectors @ 60psi you may be closer to your level of horsepower but the total maxium would be only 418hp. There is NO WAY you should take that chance without a wideband monitoring your afr. Play it safe and get the 42#'s, wideband and dyno. Aim for 11 afr and slowly take it up to 12 afr with high octane and timing adjustments. Hopefully, this will help but better calculations could be made with the attaching file under the fuel and horsepower tab using excel.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior SCH Member
    "Going static" as tbird puts it, means they go wide full open. If there's enough fuel volume at WFO, they'll be fine, if there isn't, that's what kills your motor. I have run many kinds of injectors at pressures up to 100 psi without one ever locking closed, or locking at all for that matter.

That said, bigger than 24s are definetely in order for the setup the poster describes. Minimum 36 pounders, and that's marginal.

F=MA

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA View Post
    "Going static" as tbird puts it, means they go wide full open. If there's enough fuel volume at WFO, they'll be fine, if there isn't, that's what kills your motor. I have run many kinds of injectors at pressures up to 100 psi without one ever locking closed, or locking at all for that matter.

That said, bigger than 24s are definetely in order for the setup the poster describes. Minimum 36 pounders, and that's marginal.

F=MA
    Thanks for clearing that up F=MA :emb Yes, according to the calculations spreadsheet 42#'s are good to an OBTAINABLE 480hp. Sorry for any misinformation on the 24#'s . Still it would be wise to get the 42#'s, a wideband and dyno time.
    Last edited by 88t.birdsc; 07-27-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    I have a wideband so im covered there and i can get dyno time at a friends shop.. so i guess i will have to hunt down some injectors. well i can always sell my 24 with the match mass air. Thanks guys for clearning that up.
    thanks

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah, good idea. Even with a tuner, there's only a certain amount of time to fire the injector. You can only open the pulsewidths so far; if there's isn't enough volume delivered in that time, kaboom. You could probably force the 24s to work with a huge FMU and the tuner but, that's a dumb way to do it.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    yeah im just goin to get some 42# if anyone of you guys knows someone or somewhere i can get them for a good price let me know