Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Boost issue

Thread: Boost issue

Junior SCH Member

Boost issue

Running a 1973 Ford Capri

with a Rover/Buick 215 V8 and a Magnacharger 110.

Magnacharger is running with 60% overdrive and with the stock heads it delivered 6.2psi boost.
    I changed heads for the new Merlin F85 high performance heads which flow significant better than the old stock ones and now my boost readings dropped to 3.5 psi. Yess I know this is normal with better flowing heads.

My question is:
    With the old heads I had a cr of 9.4 : 1 + 6.2psi = about 13 :1 corrected compression ratio.
    With the new 33cc Merlin heads I have a cr of 9.02:1 + 3.5 psi (measured) = about 11 :1 corrected compression ratio.
    Is this true and does it mean I can raise boost now to get beack to my old 13:1 corrected compression ratio or do I see it all wrong ; the new heads flow better and the boost readings I now read are not accurate for calculations.

Regards JP

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Your are correct that to equal your compression back up just change pulley to get you back to 13:1 if it was safe running then it will be the same now.
    Just wondering!! What kind of times are you running and what track is it so I can correct for altitude. I had the same car 20 years ago and put a Buick 3.8 with a Paxton blower. Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    I did 15 sec with damaged rotors earleyer this season. Running it with 3.09 :1 gears and 5 speed LT77 gearbox.
    Blower is repaired now by BDS agend UK Blowers.
    I am running it with those long gears as we don't have a race track in Holland annymore. I have to drive it 500 miles to Great Britain ( UK ) to make some runs thats why the long gears are suitable for me.

As I experiance the new heads do deliver more horsepower with the same overdrive ratio ( had 256 bhp on the wheels with the std heads).