Thread: Camshaft questions

SCH Member

Question Camshaft questions

Hey everyone!
    The 2 cams I'm thinking about installing in my stock 93 HO short block with gt40y heads are the FMS e303 or the Crane 2031. The specs are as follows:
    E303 cam .498 lift with 1.6's, 282 duration, 110 lobe center, timing 31/71 71/31, 220 duration @ .050
    2031 cam I.513/ E.529 with 1.7's, 276 intake and 282 ex. duration, 112 lobe center, timing 28/68 75/27, 214/220 duration @ .050.
    I like the Crane but their website lists a spring that is more stout than the gt40 spring. I think Ford Motorsport claims that those gt40y springs, will work with any of their cams and some of those are a lot more radial than the 2031 cam. Would the gt40y springs work with the 2031 or would it be better to run the e303 with 1.7 rockers if possible.
    Thank you,
    Mike

SCH Member
    It's an 88 t-bird, aod, 3.73 posi, sn2000, performer intake. My shifts are happening around 5k. A 3000 stall converter might get installed along with the camshaft/engine swap

Junior SCH Member
    Why those cams? I would run something with a tad bit more duration.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeezy53 View Post
    Why those cams? I would run something with a tad bit more duration.
    I'll probably get a hotter cam on the next buildup, but right now it will have to be one of these. I have both of these and money is a problem right now.

Thanks,
    Mike

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Since your running a AOD I would stay with the E303 or even the stock cam put in straight up. I made over 500whp with a stock cam.

Senior SCH Member
    The 2031 is my recommendation. It's the only cam I've ever seen make significantly more power with stock E7 heads on. It's not a blower cam but, you can bust 450 horse with that cam in it easy, using a stock bottom end, a decent head and 6 pounds of blower. Add 8+ pounds and you'll bust the block no problemo.

F=MA

SCH Member
    They both seem like good cams, looks like I can't go wrong with either. Hopefully, I can make it happen.
    Thanks everyone!

Mike

Junior SCH Member
    ok have someq for speedytang if u can help me please i have sn 2k just got it july2007i was getting only 5 to 6 psi don't know why never had a sc but the person that sold it to me said that i can get up to 11 psi if i put 7 inch pulley its there any way i can get to thisn if ican can you please explain it how to please.
    ps. something happend to the motor so i send it to get rebuild i have a dss level 10 i am trying to make 450 with the sc also any suggestions thank u

Junior SCH Member
    oh by the way what i am trying to do with this car is is have lots of top end was thinking also putting 355 on do you have any ideas how to make this car very fast at the not just 1/4 mile i got some friends that have corvettes n supras dut i love the fox body so don't wanna get rideof itany combos

Junior SCH Member
    trying to see ifanybody can help mewith my sn 2k i was told i can make 11psi out of it put i am just making 6 psi out ofit i have dss block level 10 n i am making 300 with out the sc is there any way to pump it up i was told if i put 7 inch pulleyiwouldbe able to do 11psi socani pleaseget some help here don't know anything about sc need help
    ps. something happendto the motor so i amtrying to rebuild it so i can put the sc back on any suggestions on how to build the motor so it can work well with the sc, what i am really truing to build here is i fast high topend car that can be with the corvettesn supras u know what i mean any help would be apreciate thank

Senior SCH Member
    The SN is too small for your goals. The VR4 would be better but, hard to find one. Better off looking at a new Novi 2000 and wicking that up. You are going to need TONS of power to push the Fox to speeds higher than 160 mph, it's as aerodynamic as trying to hold a 4X8 sheet of plywood in a hurricane. Plus, the car has a tendency to fly at speeds greater than 160. Get a better car if you want to undertake Silver State Classic-style driving.

F=MA

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You can probably get 8psi but it depends on your Camshaft and Head design but you will never get 11psi. Anything over 305ci and 8psi you need a VR4 or a Novi 1000/2000 if you want to stay with Paxton.