Thread: where to put the maf.

SCH Member

where to put the maf.

One manual I have says to put in the intake tube, and the other says to put it in the intake between SC and TB, does it matter where? I would rather put it after the SC. Placement seems like kinka a afterthought in both mauals, tpi only got maf 3 years. Thanks.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Does the TPI MAF except blow thru air metering or will that need to be done with a tuner. I know the Buick MAS that we use at the shop for Talon Turbo conversions we program to except the compressed air for metering.

SCH Member
    Still doing resarch, it looks like it will exept blow through, and our maf does the calculations for air temp, so it would be good to have after the SC so it can read true inlet air temps.

SCH Member
    I can't find a definitive answer, but I was thinking about it the stock maf with just 2-3 psi, pegs at 4000rpm, and above 2/3 throttle the ECM runs off tables, and ignores the maf or when ever the maf hits the 266gps limit. So it will never need to reed boost. Not enough to matter. The stock ECM just uses the maf for part throttle low rpm driveling. That is probley most SC manufactures put the maf in as a afterthought on the TPI.

SCH Member
    Only thing I can find is related to turbo, PPl get them two close to the housing and melt the plastic case, or they run two much boost and the housings pop, other than that I should be ok. We will see in a couple weeks.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The Buick MAF we run on the Mitsu 2.0 Turbo cars we feed 25-30psi and never had a problem.
    Last edited by speedytang; 01-25-2009 at 11:17 PM.

SCH Member
    The more resarch on this topic i do the more conflicting info i get. i need to just get the thing running and do some dataloging.

SCH Member
    It would be together if I get the crank pulley together. lol.. I almost went down to harbor freight and bought a milling lathe today I was so irritated.