Thread: FMU Hook-up

SCH Member

FMU Hook-up

I am old schooler Flat heads and Carbs.. This is my first real attempt at Hot rodding a Computer controlled car and my first Supercharger (New Paxton SN2000) from CUNDN racing. I have an all original 89 Mustang LX 5.0,5-speed car and have both 5-speed and automatic Computers, I can use either one but was told the automatic pulls more timing advance. I also have a UPR-Boostmaster cold air intake pipe. My car has 373's. My question is:
    The FMU IN comes from the RACK Return side ? (unused fuel side of the pressure regulator that would normally go back to the tank). Not the "feed" side into the rack (255LPH fuel pump side) is this correct? Then if my theory is correct the out from the FMU connects to the return line back to the gas tank. The picture I have is vague at best and the wording is terrible??
    I also have a BBK-SSI intake,if I change the throttle body size and add the EGR Blank off, as the EGR mounts to the back of that intake separate from the throttle body, Should I or would I have to change FMU to a different ratio,am I going to have to change the injector size anyway because of the Boostmaster pipe and the larger throttle body. More air needs more fuel??? I am thinking of the Anderson PMS anyway is this just the best way to eliminate all the headaches?? I have the wide band Air fuel Autometer gauge and boost gauge for the pillar post. I just want to get everything lined up and do the car all at once. I just don't know how far out I'm going to be to start with. I also have a brand new 302 block and crank to replace this engine eventually..

SCH Member
    ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION IT HAS THE HO IMPELLER, I told CLIFF it had the 19lb injectors
    and the stock Mass Air meter and throttle body.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Last edited by 89LX; 06-11-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: adding comment

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The FMU does hook to the return line that goes back to the tank. The idea is since gas can not make it to the tank the fuel pressure rises at the feed line to the injectors. When you boost 1psi you will get additional 10psi of fuel pressure at the rail. At 5psi you will be at 90psi of fuell pressure. It is a easy and quick fix for small injectors and takes about 10 minutes to install. If you change injectors go with 36lb-42lb units and forget the FMU. You can get by with 24lb injectors and a FMU disc but you still need to change your MAS so the cost is the same to go with larger injectors and have no need to change them again till your over 600hp.

SCH Member
    Thanks alot I appreciate your help.

Todd