Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
sn93

Thread: sn93

Junior SCH Member

sn93

I'am new to the hole superchager world.. so i guess what i am asking is. this on my sn93. i don't need to put oil or that t-f fulid in right... becuse. the line going to the superchager. is a the oilers right. i no my typein suck..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    I don't think this setup shares engine oil or trans fluid with the vehicle. Looks like a standard cooler setup with lines going to the pump, through the cooler and back to the SC. You still have to put your choice of fluid into the unit. I suggest Trick Shift NON-Synthetic.

Junior SCH Member
    where would i put the fuild becuse i dont see a spot. .. i was told this was a newer sn93 or a upgraded sn93 an it was not a older ball driven charger, an that was my oil line thats taped in the motor..
    Last edited by johnnyo; 11-03-2009 at 03:11 AM.

All Paxton SN series superchargers (your SN93 included) are ball-drive type superchargers. There was a prototype gear-driven SN supercharger made years ago, but it was just a prototype and never released or sold to the public, so there's little likelihood your supercharger is gear-driven.

But that doesn't mean it's not "upgraded". The typical SN upgrade is the installation of a high output impeller. The standard SN impeller was capable of about 5psi boost; the upgraded impeller is capable of about 6.5psi boost. The only other SN upgrade is a conversion to what's called a VR4 which includes a new impeller and new rear scroll housing (along with a number of other internal upgrades). The VR4 upgrade will typically result in boost pressures of about 12psi. VR4 upgrade kits are rare and a bit pricey (when compared to the simple impeller upgrade).

No doubt your vehicle has a boost gauge - what boost reading do you normally see? If you see between 6.0 and 6.5psi, chances are you have the upgraded impeller only; if you see upwards of 10psi or more, then you probably have a VR4.

As for the oil line, I would double check whether it's actually taped into the engine's oil supply by tracing the lines to and from the supercharger itself. SN series superchargers use Ford ATF (Type 'F') for lubrication; I don't think regular engine oil would provide sufficient protection/lubrication. The fluid that's in these superchargers needs to be replaced on a regular (almost religious) basis in order to ensure a long life. The line that's coming from your supercharger may very well be plumbed to an oil cooler, which is pretty typical of an "upgraded" SN supercharger.

As for where to check/fill the fluid, there is normally a dipstick/fill tube on the front section of the supercharger itself, between the pulley and the supercharger mounting brackets. However, judging by the photo you've posted, I believe the oil lines running to and from the supercharger are using that dipstick/fill tube. In that case you may have to remove both lines in order to drain/fill the fluid.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-03-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    i have no boost gauge.. the stang did not come with one.. an i just picked up the car 2 days ago. he told me. its was makeing 5psi... now for the line he said that was a a upgrade. an i never need to use the fuild or have to fill it. an it had its own pump.. an he told me it was a a sn93. i dont see no where on here its say this charger is a sn93 sn92 or sn89 oh i see what your sayin about the line you might be so so right. so i unscrew that an fill . or check it.
    Last edited by johnnyo; 11-03-2009 at 04:22 AM.

The oil cooler is considered an "upgrade" as an SN normally doesn't come with an oil cooler; it's typically added after the fact.

If the car is producing 5psi, then the supercharger itself has the standard impeller; no VR4, no high output impeller. So the only upgrade is, in fact, the addition of an oil cooler/lines.

But to say that the fluid never needs to be changed/filled is very dangerous. The SN series superchargers need to have the fluid in them changed frequently, oil cooler or not. The addition of the oil cooler lengthens the intervals between fluid changes, but it doesn't eliminate it all together. I'm quite sure there are many people on this forum that would agree with me on that point (hopefully some will chime in soon with their two cents).

Again, my advice is to start by tracing the oil lines that are running to and from the supercharger and see where they lead. If they go to a cooler and back (with a pump in there someplace), then what you have a just an oil cooler, which certainly doesn't mean you never have to change the fluid. I'm sure there are lots of SN owners out who wish that were the case, though... LOL!!!

Seeing as you bought the car only 2 days ago, I would also suggest contacting the previous owner and asking when the last time the fluid in the supercharger was changed? If it hasn't been done in a while, that may be the first order of business. If for no other reason than the peace of mind.

Junior SCH Member
    ok michael.. yea i'll have to do that. but a swear this guy is going to tell me this.. its not a ball drive super charger.. there is no need for the fuilds becuse that what them line are for self lub.. i know he is.. even know i been reading up on this supercharger from this site.. its 4:30am here... my typein sucks..

p.s . i know its ball driveing. ok so what if it is taped to the oil pan or the block or to the trans for that matter.. would this mess up the charger.. the car has 32kmile an i belive the car was been sits for about 2 or 4 year. i no what your say.. but you know whats funny i have a box with all the stock parts. an i see 2 bottle of type -f fuild i think thats the number.. am pretty sure this guy told me that them lines are tap in to the oil pan or block an the sliver thing there you see by the firewall is the motor.. that pumps fuild. an that why the comps of the motor would flux around becuse its was takeing oil from there..
    Last edited by johnnyo; 11-03-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Regardless of whether the previous owner insists it's not a ball-drive supercharger, what you should be concerned about is when the last time the fluid has been changed. If the car has been sitting for the last 2 to 4 years, then my guess is ALL the fluids in the car should be changed, including the fluid for the supercharger.

In theory there is nothing wrong with plumbing the oil lines into the transmission (assuming the transmission uses the same Type 'F' fluid); plumbing into the engine's oil supply is probably not a good idea since the oil the engine uses is not Type 'F' fluid, which means it's not what's recommended for your supercharger.

However, the problem with running a line to and from the transmission (as I see it) is that the fluid is now being asked to provide cooling and lubrication to both the transmission AND supercharger. This can (and will) be very taxing on the fluid itself, requiring much more frequent fluid changes. That's not to say it can't be done... I'm sure it can. Just keep in mind that the SN series superchargers produce a lot of heat (that's how they work), so coupled with the heat (and load) from the transmission, to think that you will never have to replace the fluid simply doesn't make sense.

And remember: just because the previous owner insists that the supercharger is not a ball-drive unit, and that the fluid never needs to be changed/replaced, doesn't mean he's correct. He very well could be misinformed himself, especially if the work was done by someone else. The research you're doing now is the right thing to do. Ask questions, get under the hood, and do a little investigation of your own. I don't want to say the previous owner was dishonest, and I certainly don't mean to imply that he is "dumb" but the plain fact of the matter is the only way you can be sure is to do the investigation yourself. And that starts by asking a lot of good questions.

When you do speak to the previous owner, and if he insists that the supercharger is not a ball-drive unit, ask him what type of drive it is and who did the conversion. If he tells you it was done by some "shop", then chances are someone has lied to him and he's just passing on bad information. If he says HE did the conversion, then ask him how he went about it. Like I said, there was only one gear-drive SN ever made and it was a prototype, never sold to the public (in fact, if you do a search on the forum here, you'll find a photo of it).

Another thing you should very seriously consider is installing a boost gauge. They aren't expensive and it will be your primary means of telling whether the supercharger is working properly or not. Think about it... the owner has told you the supercharger produces 5psi of boost, yet the car doesn't have a boost gauge. How do you (or he) know it's producing 5psi? Because he "said so"? No gauge, no proof.

The moderator here, Speedytang, is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to the SN series superchargers. He's messed around with them for years. Hopefully he'll chime in soon with his thoughts. I'm sure he will be able to help more than I can.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-03-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    dammm your the man michael. becuse i tracie them line's an it went to a big oil cooler. an i check the fulid its ws still bright red. now i dont no went it was change last. i'll have to ask the person. an for the boost gauge. i know. thats next. but the seat of my pants gauge. is tellin me its got some psi (lol). he all so give me a 6psi pully. he did say the supercharger did not do more then 4 to 5 psi of boost..

about the fulid i had two bottles of type-F trans fulid that was in the box. now went i took the dipstick or pump stick should i see oil inside the charger it self.. should it be to the top of the charger or if the stick show's there fulid in there i'am good. becuse there no marks to read.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    What you see is a dipstick type oilcooler kit.
    Use atf F only !
    The little pipe with the oil lines on it is also the dipstick, check out the 2 marks on it when you pull it out.
    What I did to fill it up is put the dipstick cooler in the atf can and let it suck up oil until it is filled and also fill the supercharger and check with the dipstick.
    Don't overfill becouse then it will start leaking.
    It should start pumping with the ignition on.
    The oil cooler kit is an extra option, it will make the supercharger last much longer.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw