Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Impeller information from Granatelli

Thread: Impeller information from Granatelli

Senior SCH Member

Impeller information from Granatelli

I asked JR Granatelli if he had any information about the different impellers used in the SN series units. Below is the email I received. Interesting information, thought I would share with you folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck-Strickland
    Dear Mr. Granatelli,

Sorry to bother you, but I was hoping with your knowledge of the Ball Drive SN series Paxton superchargers you might be able to shed some light on an information gap. It appears that there were two versions of the impellers for the SN series, specifically the SN 2000 and SN 2000HO the later which had a different impeller which apparently produced more boost (2-3psi.) The information gap revolves around the amount of CFM the HO impeller could produce. I was wondering if you have any solid CFM numbers between the standard and HO impeller that you could share with the forum. Any information on the two impellers would be of interest. Unconfirmed information puts the standard impeller at 850cfm and the HO at 1,100cfm, followed by the VR4 conversion at 1,400cfm. Any information in this matter would be greatly appreciated. There are those of us who really want to keep these units around and this Superchargerhelp.com forum has become an excellent repository of history and information.

Thank you,

Mike

The standard impeller was rated at - 800 cfm @10psi (277 H20) @ 42,000 impeller speed - At that flow and pressure it supported 500hp.

The intended use of the SN60, SN89, SN92 and SN93 was 560 cfm @ 6psi (166.2 H20) @ 37,500 impeller speed – These blowers were later called the SN-2000 in 1997 to signify things to come in the new millennium. At that flow and pressure it supported 350hp.

The HO impeller was no more than a standard impeller scalloped on the ends like a scoop. By modifying the impeller in this manner we were able to achieve the following: 800 cfm @ 8.5psi (235.45 H20) (500hp) @ 38,500 impeller speed & 925 cfm @ 10psi (277 H20) (575hp) 42,000 impeller speed. Additionally, By making the impeller lighter and increasing airflow at cruise, case temperatures dropped by 75 degrees.

The VR4 went from a 3.5 to 4.00” inlet and moved tons of air down low – it was not about peak power with the VR4 it was about average power, or should I say how fast it would ramp and make power based on flow and pressure.

VR4 flowed:

5psi – 560 cfm
    6psi – 616 cfm
    7psi – 672 cfm
    8psi – 731 cfm
    9psi – 785 cfm
    10psi – 841 cfm
    11psi – 901 cfm
    12psi – 957 cfm
    13psi – 1015 cfm
    14psi – 1073 cfm
    15psi – 1120 cfm - @ 44,000 Impeller speed

The Novi-2000 is rated at 1650cfm @ 15 psi

The most desirable supercharger offered by Paxton was the Novi-GSS. We only made 50. The Novi-GSS produced 20psi at 1800cfm. It had a 10 to 1 internal step up with 3 forward driving helical sun gears in concert driving the center shaft output shaft which was connected to the impeller. It turned 75,000 rpm. I was one bam mother. My Uncle Vince Granatelli decided it was too much money to mass produce.

Thanks for posting - this is really great SN info!

Junior SCH Member
    So if that correct Im one of the lucky 50 owners of a Novi Gss :)

Here it is

Junior SCH Member
    Probably not

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post

The Novi GSS was initially a 10 to 1 internal step up with sun gears like a manual transmission. They have a 65mm turbocharger impeller in them and they spin 120,000 rpm. My father wanted to keep it simple and cut cost so we build the Novi 2000 and the Novi GSS became a high end ball driven unit again. There are 50 or 60 real Novi GSS gear driven units out there and they rip! They produce 20 psi at 960cfm. It was not uncommon to see 570 to 600 horsepower at 15 psi. They were dead quiet (I mean like silent). My dad was right though, we over engineered the unit and by the time it came out 600hp was not enough.

J.R. Granatelli

Granatelli Motor Sports

jrgranatelli@granatellimotorsports.com

SCH Member
    I have a VR4 on it's way to me can someone tell me the ratio for figuring rpm's is it the same as my SN-2000 4.44:1 ??

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    I have a VR4 on it's way to me can someone tell me the ratio for figuring rpm's is it the same as my SN-2000 4.44:1 ??
    I believe the VR4 is the same internal step-up ratio as all SN superchargers, 4.44:1

SCH Member
    And also what is the Maximum impeller speed for the VR4 with the cast impeller

SCH Member
    Hello Michael,
    I bought the VR4 from 1ba67 that was on here 3 weeks ago it should be a nice unit. I figured I'll get to the bottom of all the hype one way or another so I bought one. I will let you know how it all turns out in the end. I'm still pushing to get the kits done
    and will be in touch with Craig to help me set this one up right.
    89LX, Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    Hello Michael,
    I bought the VR4 from 1ba67 that was on here 3 weeks ago it should be a nice unit. I figured I'll get to the bottom of all the hype one way or another so I bought one. I will let you know how it all turns out in the end. I'm still pushing to get the kits done
    and will be in touch with Craig to help me set this one up right.
    89LX, Todd
    Congratulations on your VR4 purchase. I know you've wanted one for a while, so it's good to see you've now got one on the way. Good luck with it - I'm sure it will live up to the hype.

As for the maximum impeller speed, just based on the original posting I think it's 44,000 RPM.

SCH Member
    I wasn't sure about the max rpm as it has a larger diameter impeller. I think it will make more than I need with stock diameter pulleys for my street car. I also just bought a PMS
    that was used for just a month and was made the end of April 09 so it is like new it also has the 3-Bar Map sensor too. I can now pick my pistons,rods etc.. for my new engine. I think I'm making my Father nervous that I'm going to go by his 55 Chevy with the 383 stroker in it. He has 50,000.00 in his I'll have 10,000.00 in mine...I just want to go by him once just once!
    Thanks Michael for all your help

Todd, 89LX

Junior SCH Member
    i miss spoke in post 4 - it was 20 psi at 1800 not 960cfm. The Novi/Gss pictured above is the ball driven version, should have the curved impeller
    Last edited by Granatelli; 06-12-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: typo

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Congratulations on your VR4 purchase. I know you've wanted one for a while, so it's good to see you've now got one on the way. Good luck with it - I'm sure it will live up to the hype.

As for the maximum impeller speed, just based on the original posting I think it's 44,000 RPM.
    46,000 rpm.