Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Do you retard timing at full boost???

Thread: Do you retard timing at full boost???

Junior SCH Member

Do you retard timing at full boost???

How many of you guys run stock timing at full boost? Right now I have my PMS retarding 4 degrees out per some advice from a tuner. It seems like alot of these tuners are used to non-intercooled cars and always retard timing. Do I need to do this? The Procharger book says to start out at 10*. Is the book incorrect? What about a hot August day? Would you retard then?

Den
    1993 Black Mustang GT
    11psi P600B w/ 3-core intercooler, 6037's, Anderson B3, and all the rest. (stock short block)

Junior SCH Member
    alot depends on boost level and set up. if you aren't getting detonation, you can take your chances and slowly increase timing. more timing usually results in more power. you do have to be carefull though cause there is a fine line to the point when you get detonation and changing head gaskets is a pain.

i usually put in a little more timing on the low end for additional punch and since boost hasnt really kicked in yet it can usually tolerate 2-4 degrees easy. then use the 4 degrees retard at WOT under full boost to put you back to the stock timing. this would maximize low end and still be conservative at WOT.

just my thoughts.

mike
    www.BoostedHorsepower.com

69 Camaro Z28
    383 D1 Procharger
    Procharger Sheet Metal Intercooler
    750 cfm 4150
    Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Trick Flow Aluminum Heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    Crower Solid Roller Cam
    X2CMotorsports Tremec TKO TransTKO