Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Differences in SN-xx's ?

Thread: Differences in SN-xx's ?

SCH Member

Differences in SN-xx's ?

Anybody know what the real differences between all the sn series are?

Senior SCH Member
    There were subtle improvements from model to model. Externally all are similar if not the same.

They all work from the same principal; use basically the same wear parts (some differences in pin locations for the races).

Is there a specific question you have regarding a SNXX? I'm sure somebody will be able to help, or provide pictures.

SCH Member
    I just crave knowledge.
    It drives me crazy to see sn 89, sn 93, gss and yet they all appear the same and use the same replacement parts. Just curious what makes an 89 an 89, why the gss broke the naming pattern, etc....

For the record, I have a GSS (working on getting it installed).

Senior SCH Member
    The Scroll casting is improved on the SN93 versus the SN89. The Scroll Cover is changed as well to match it. The SN89 scrolls are harder to get as they are out of production.

The SN89 and SN93 use the same rear seal. The front seal is different however.

SCH Member
    Where does the GSS fit in? I'm guessing it's between sn93 and sn2000 (still wondering about the "GSS" label)

The GSS (it's full name is Novi-GSS) came after the SN2000. It was a limited production run, produced as a sort of 'swan-song' for the old ball-drive superchargers. It was the culmination of all the material/design improvements that went into the SN superchargers through each iteration. The name itself is derived from two sources: Novi is from Novi, Michigan and the Novi Indy race cars campaigned by the Granatelli family (then owners of Paxton Superchargers) in the 60's, and GSS stands for Granatelli Signature Series.

There was a discussion thread in the General Chat section not long ago where Joe Granatelli Jr. (a member of our site) posted some very good information on the history of Paxton Superchargers. I suggest reading through it - it'll probably answer many of your questions regarding the SN series of superchargers. Here's the link to the discussion itself; Joe's posts are numbers 9 and 10 in the thread:

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/showthread.php?t=763

SCH Member
    Thanks for the link- I've searched through the site to the point I had a headache before, that thread clears up alot of things.

I noticed when I first found this site that a member posted under the moniker of "Granatelli", I figured it was more of an homage than the man himself!! After stumbling across a few of his posts I realized he was legit, and I'm honored to be posting on the same pages as he his (do I have some major ***-kissing skills or what).

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The GSS (it's full name is Novi-GSS) came after the SN2000. It was a limited production run, produced as a sort of 'swan-song' for the old ball-drive superchargers. It was the culmination of all the material/design improvements that went into the SN superchargers through each iteration. ..............."
    will the GSS bolt up the same as the SN-60 I have now?

Is it more rare than the VR-4 ?

how does it compare with the VR-4 power output ?

Z.

'65 K code

Physically, the Nov-GSS is dimensionally (more or less) identical to any other SN series supercharger. In theory, it should bolt up anywhere an SN series supercharger can be installed, including your SN60.

I think genuine Novi-GSS superchargers are more rare than VR-4 superchargers. The Novi-GSS was a limited production item; I don't believe the VR4 was 'limited' in the same sense.

A power output comparison between a Novi-GSS and a VR-4 is about the same as comparing any SN to a VR-4. The most significant difference is the Novi-GSS was the "ultimate" incarnation of the ball-drive superchargers, so it came standard with 'upgrades' like the high-output impeller. A typical Novi-GSS would produce about 6.5psi - 7psi... maybe 8psi, whereby a VR-4 will easily produce 12psi - 14psi and twice the airflow (CFM) of the GSS.

For rarity, I think the Novi-GSS is one of the rarest SN series superchargers ever produced. But for performance, the VR-4 is untouchable.

SCH Member
    thanks for the detailed answer.

Z.

'65 K code

No problem.

BTW - the '66 GT-350 in your signature is absolutely gorgeous! You should consider adding it to the SCH garage (there's a link in the navigation menu at the top of the page).

The guy who lives across the street from me has one that looks virtually identical. Unfortunately, his isn't a "real" GT-350. It was a 'regular' (if I can use that term) '66 Mustang that was (lovingly) put together using all the go-fast items from a genuine GT-350 that was wrapped around a tree and written off. The shop that did the work is extremely well known for their muscle car restorations, and the work they did to this car is above reproach.

Nice ride.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "...............BTW - the '66 GT-350 in your signature is absolutely gorgeous! You should consider adding it to the SCH garage (there's a link in the navigation menu at the top of the page).............."

Nice ride.
    it's a real 30 footer. numerous dings, scratches, and poorly matched touch-up spots. But it's the car I have, and I don't have worry about that dreaded "1st scratch".

I'll get right on the garage page thing.

thanks for the complements.

Z. Ray

'65 K code