Thread: Just installed Strim running hot?

Junior SCH Member

Just installed Strim running hot?

Completed the install on my S trim yesterday.I have a 3 core radiator and a heavy duty clucth fan setup along with a 160 stat .The car never got above 160 naturally aspirated .Is it common to run warmer after install?Iam running about 190 right now and it is only 60 outside wich is kind of making me nervous considering the ac isnt even on.All replies appreciated!!!!!!:)
    88 Gt Vortech S trim 8 rib,Trickflow Track Heat Heads,Scorpion 1.6 rockers,cobra intake,Mac 70mm t.b.,pro m 80mm mass air ,30 lb injectors,Crane Hi 8 ign.,World class T-5,King cobra clutch,Fms 3.55 gears.Fms aluminum d.s.,Pro 5.0 shifter BBk subframes,Tfs phenolic 1 inch spacer,Frp 3 core radiator ,Cervini Stalker kit ,Cervini 4 cowl hood,chrome 4 lug Cobra r's,Walbro 255 lph pump ,T rex fuel pump,Ati fmu. 449.3 rhp @ 5500 rpms on a mustang dyno still running pig rich!!!

Senior SCH Member
    Ditch the 160* t-stat and go with a 180* t-stat.

Had a similar problem with my novi mustang and that t-stat (160), got a 180* t-stat and it solved the problem.

That 160 t-stat is opening up too soon, and not allowing proper circulation within the cooling system.

Other please chime in w/ your ideas.

Hope this helps,

Chris
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Senior SCH Member
    Yea I agree with the 160, the coolant is not staying in the radiator long enough to cool down, its just constantly circulating through the motor. Go with the 180.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator
    http://www.stangtuning.com

Junior SCH Member
    Well , Im the one who installed the kit and come to find out , I think we blew the head gasket the first night we installed the kit . We never took it above 5,000 rpm , but by then it was already making 12pds of boost and pulling like a raped ape . after one good hit of thbe throttle yesterday , the steam started pouring out the tailpipes and a mis devolped . I still feel we had blown the gasket just a little the first night and then completly blew it out yesterday !!!!
    2002 mustang GT auto , off rd x pipe , so S trim v-1 , 42 pd injectors , 255 in tank pump , autologic chip , In need of gears BAD !!!

Senior SCH Member
    Pull the radiator cap when the car is idling and see if the coolant has oil and/or to see if it is bubbling. Either or those are signs of a bad headgasket. Don't worry, I did the same thing. I slapped mine on, left the house...went and made 15lbs of boost, popped a headgasket and came back home. I started ripping it apart 30mins after I just finished the install.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator
    http://www.stangtuning.com

Senior SCH Member
    find the cyl thats missing, remove the plug. put that cyl close to TDC. pressureize the radiator. coolant will come out if HG is bad.

or just look at all your plugs. the bad cyl plug will look kinda like new.
    97 ex cab 3dr, black, stock 4.3, VORTECH V2 SQ / PowerStroke FMIC, A4

Blown gasket huh?

Instead of just putting it back together, find out why you blew the gasket. To take a guess you were probably too lean. You said it was pulling like a raped ape, good, but make sure you got enough fuel. Back off your timing, you want to ease up on the perfect tune. There is a thin line between the perfect tune and problems.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Senior SCH Member
    If you are running much more than 10#'s of boost w/o perfect tune you are subject to blown head gaskets and even then..keeping in mind that there is only 10 head bolts on fords vs chevy w/17..i wire lock all..further insurance as we raise the boost to the ragged edge and beyond.......