Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Oil Cooler Pickup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Cooler Pickup

Junior SCH Member

Oil Cooler Pickup

Has anyone fab-ed up one that uses the dip stick/filler tube? Do not really want to drill and tap the case on my VR4

SCH Member
    There's alot of threads on this subject (search option is your friend on this one).

But in short- paxton has a "factory" setup using the dipstick tube. Many people have fabbed their own and posted pics/instructions for them. I drilled and tapped mine, as have quite a few others. I personally think this is a superior method over the dipstick pick-up design.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    "......... I personally think this is a superior method over the dipstick pick-up design.
    just curious, superior in what ways ?

Z.

'65 K code

SCH Member
    #1- Aesthetics:
    Anodized and/or stainless AN fittings and braided lines routed from the bottom in whatever manner fits your application versus a (brass?) T-fitting with lines on the top of the supercharger. Even if you fab a trick polished aluminum pickup, it will always look like an after thought.

#2- Ease of use of the factory dipstick versus disconnecting/manipulating a pickup tube retention setup.

#3- Better circulation:
    Even though heat may be transfered well enough with the return fluid being dumped an inch above the pickup, I guarantee drilling the case in the proper locations will be more efficient and remove more heat from the head unit.

#4- Longer fluid life:
    I question what type of "dead-spots" the pickup-tube design causes. With pick-up and return being in the same area- what percentage of fluid remains in the supercharger while the same fluid is pumped in and instantly pumped out?
    Last edited by Cali; 07-17-2011 at 11:34 AM.

SCH Member
    [QUOTE=Cali;65418]#1- Aesthetics:
    Anodized and/or stainless AN fittings and braided lines routed from the bottom in whatever manner fits your application versus a (brass?) T-fitting with lines on the top of the supercharger............"/QUOTE]

agree

".......... #2- Ease of use of the factory dipstick versus disconnecting/manipulating a pickup tube retention setup.........."
    it's just a few seconds bother. But in my opinion not enough of a hassle to justify drilling holes in the blower case. It my case, the blower is a vintage piece that is period correct, and was an option for my car. So I can't be drilling holes in it (regardless as much as I might want to).

#3- Better circulation:
    Even though heat may be transfered well enough with the return fluid being dumped an inch above the pickup, I guarantee drilling the case in the proper locations will be more efficient and remove more heat from the head unit.............."
    theoretically true. I would love to see a temperature comparison on the same motor of the two different circulation models. Would it actually remove more heat ? Maybe, maybe not. Now you have me thinking of putting a Paxton coolant temp gauge under the dash. I won't be satisfied until my under- dash looks like a Boeing 747.

at idle w/ cold engine:

at 5000+ rpm and climbing:

"...........#4- Longer fluid life:
    I question what type of "dead-spots" the pickup-tube design causes. With pick-up and return being in the same area- what percentage of fluid remains in the supercharger while the same fluid is pumped in and instantly pumped out?
    disagree with this theory. Heat convection will ensure that there is fluid movement inside the blower case independent of the fluid being moved around from the pump & splash. So there is never a dead zone of stagnant fluid that is being exclusively re-curculated.

But your theory #3 might come into play here. It there is a substantial fluid temp difference between the two scenarios, then the fluid life would definitely be affected.

Z.

'65 K code

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zray View Post
    .......It my case, the blower is a vintage piece that is period correct, and was an option for my car. So I can't be drilling holes in it (regardless as much as I might want to).
    I'm 98% with you on that one. I would have serious issues if a customer wanted me to drill a vintage piece. But that last 2% wants me to think that if it was logistically/financially feasable for paxton to have done a recall and add the ports on the case instead of a rigged pick-up tube setup, they would have.

I guess it falls into the same category as a double-roller timing chain on a windsor. Just because that venerable small block eventually wound up with a set from the factory, should one go on a '66 289? From a "safety" standpoint, it's far superior, and nobody would ever know. It was standard on later designs for a reason. (For the record, I hate chains and run geardrive)

I'm just playing devil's advocate on this one. If it was original equipment on my own classic, I would never drill it, no matter what the benefits.

.......disagree with this theory. Heat convection will ensure that there is fluid movement inside the blower case independent of the fluid being moved around from the pump & splash. So there is never a dead zone of stagnant fluid that is being exclusively re-curculated.
    My concern on this one is that some fluid will instantly be pulled into the pick-up upon return to the head unit, while other fluid is left to bake/lubricate for a few "cycles" until it finds it's way around and is pumped through the system. There's just no way getting around that with such a close proximity of the two ports- it's not a "100% in, 100% out" flow pattern. Even though with the case design, that "100%" is probably impossible, I'm positive that correctly placed ports will have superior flow characteristics. In the long run there's probably a balance in how much time each molecule spends in the supercharger versus the cooling system, and considering the added amount of fluid, along with the fact that it's actually being cooled, I'm sure it's kept within usable limits without any issues from "some fluid working harder than other fluid"- but it still leads me to believe the condition of the fluid can be kept in a better overall state by drilling.

And ZRAY, time for an A-pillar gauge pod :)
    Last edited by Cali; 07-17-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    i built my own dipstick from hardware store bits and i figure its effective as the heat exchangers start getting warm a few minutes after start up, running it in a cup the returned fluid runs off the edge of the tube and doesn't follow the pick up tube down so a certain amount of circulation does happen aside from the intake surge of the blowers pump. i thought about building and selling dipsticks (or even complete kits, but the rest of the stuff can be sourced at nearly any decent parts store and may not be practical) but am not sure about demand

SCH Member
    ".................... I'm positive that correctly placed ports will have superior flow characteristics. In the long run there's probably a balance in how much time each molecule spends in the supercharger versus the cooling system, and considering the added amount of fluid, along with the fact that it's actually being cooled, I'm sure it's kept within usable limits without any issues from "some fluid working harder than other fluid"- but it still leads me to believe the condition of the fluid can be kept in a better overall state by drilling.

And ZRAY, time for an A-pillar gauge pod :)
    after reading your post closely, I've come to one definite conclusion, we ought'a get together for a beer, or 20, so this fluid issue can be reasonably discussed.

Z.

'65 K code

SCH Member
    .... we ought'a get together for a beer, or 20, so this fluid issue can be reasonably discussed.

Z.
    :party:

Do I get to drive the fastback? :teeth:

SCH Member
    :party:

Do I get to drive the fastback? :teeth:

definitely.

whenever I get together for a (sober) lunch with my car buddies, we meet up a ways from the lunch spot. Trade cars, and drive on to the restaurant. Then we really have something to talk about, comparing each others ride. A lot of tongue-in-cheek dissing, some trouble shooting talk, etc.

Z.

'65 K code

SCH Member
    Well I'm in Ft. Hood texas (between waco and austin) for about another month, after that I'll be unavailable for awhile. I plan on doing some travelling through the states before I go, what state are you in?

SCH Member
    Well I'm in Ft. Hood texas (between waco and austin) for about another month, after that I'll be unavailable for awhile. I plan on doing some travelling through the states before I go, what state are you in?
    send me a PM sometime. I'm in Austin. If you are ever down here let me know.

Z.

'65 K code

Junior SCH Member
    a indication of how fast cold fluid flows through a dipstick, this is the return line while i am pumping out the blower to change the fluid, should move a good bit faster when hot

http://s792.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=f0e2be1a.mp4
    http://s792.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=0c401254.mp4

Junior SCH Member

pickup/return tube

i made this over the weekend it works really well . i used about a foot of 1/4 copper tubing, a foot of 3/8 copper tubing, 1 3/8 T type compresstion fitting and a 90 degree 3/8 compression fitting/regular pipe fitting and just added the hose attachment i had laying around cost less than 20 bucks. oh and if your wondering the return tube even with the pickup tube installed is 65% the size of the pickup i am running a 5 psi fuel pump and it returns the fluid at about 8 psi due to the restriction at the return tube.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing that 91phoenix. That looks great.

Care to sketch it out on paper, scan and email it to me? Maybe I can put together a blueprint type drawing to post on the site in case anyone else is looking to fab themselves up one of these for their own SN.