Thread: Which mufflers?

Junior SCH Member

Which mufflers?

What mufflers ar you guys using withyour Pro-Cs?
    I will be running 17PSI, I was leaning towards either MAC 3in or dynomax 3in, X-pipe and equal lengths. But I dont know which of the two mufflers to get

Senior SCH Member
    Preferrably go with something that is a straight through design such as Dynomax Ultra flow SS, Race Magnums, or Magnaflow mufflers.
    Depending on the type of car you own, this may or may not apply to you. I also noticed you are going with equal length headers? Is there a reason you are not going with long tubes or short tubes? I run equal lengths on a 95 cobra, and will never do this again as it makes changing spark plugs a nightmare, and probably isn't worth the few hp ( if any ) over unequal lengths for the cost and hassle. Not to mention the numerous burned spark plug boots. If I had to do it over again I would go with a set of long tube headers anyday over equals or shortys.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member

re

Yeah, I would prob go with unequals or long tubes next time. I bought the headers cheap, I had LTs in the past and unequals. The LT were awesome, but I didnt like the avail H-pipes. I ran Hooker comps before, and they keep buring clutch cables and the 3 bolt collectors keeping leaking. Maybe BBK's with the ball and socket design. Those equal shorties sucked putting them on and I did it with the engine out!

So 3in race magnums will work sweet?
    The only reason I was thinkin MAC was they already have a 3in cat back W/ turn downs.
    I can t seem to find 3in pipes from the H-pipe to mufflers anywhere

You shouldn't have any problem having an exhaust shop bend and weld you some 3" flow tubes (between the H-Pipe and mufflers). That is the only way I have done it in the past. At first, I just had an H-Pipe with my headers, I had my welder make me some flow tubes... I didn't get a whole cat-back because he can make and weld all of that stuff just as good as custom made anyway... hell, that's what he does. I would say go with a strait through design on the muffler and if you don't get some sort of a cat-back kit, it shouldn't be any problem for an exhaust shop to help you out... they stock 3" tubing.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net