Thread: ian i need your help

SCH Member

ian i need your help

just got back from the dyno and i got good and bad news.good news i made 397 hp and 389 tq the bad news i had a blown head gasket and driving the car home i noticed water was coming from the tail pipes and i also noticed there was water in the oil how do i clean the engine before starting it back up?

Ohh no :(

Did you hear detonation? How many lbs of boost were you running?

Anyhow you need to flush your rad and oil. Get some cheap oil and do 2-3 changes - then fill it back up with a nice quality oil. Then for the rad, drain it out, fill it up - leave the cap off the rad and let the water cycle from the engine to the rad. When the water cycles turn off the car and drain the coolant out of the rad again. I would drain the rad a total of 2 times to ensure you clean it all out.

I would also pull all the plugs, check them, and maybe even do a compression check to ensure everything is ok.

When you remove the head check to ensure the head itself is not damaged.

Then you need to find out why it happened so it does not occur again. Too lean? Too much timing? Bad gas?

Lots of work, but hey you made nice power :D

Ian

SCH Member
    i already have everything off just need to remove passenger head one more thing the guy at the shop told that my gt 40 heads would always leak because it would not seal right?what do you think?

Well I would suggest that you take them to a machine shop and have them checked for level - they can do that fairly quickly. How bad was the gasket?

Some blow head gaskets so hard it can warp the block!

Ian

SCH Member
    on the head gasket there was a small crack on the #7 piston i still have to remove the other side and see what i have

SCH Member
    ian have you heard about removing the spout helps save head gaskets?

You mean the spout connector as in timing?

Ian

SCH Member
    yes

SCH Member
    i heard that can save your head gaskets and your car runs alot better

grodri1972, how much boost were you running? what head gaskets were you using?

SCH Member
    when i removed them they were fel pro and im running novi 1k with the f150 pulley maybe 8-10 psi?

im sorry to hear that! good luck on the repairs...........are you planning a new style head gasket?

Originally posted by grodri1972
    i heard that can save your head gaskets and your car runs alot better
    Actually that is a trick that most drag racers use. The problem with doing it on a street car is that you are locking your ignition timing at say 26 degrees total timing all of the time. This is VERY bad on a street car that you use pump gas with. You will experience tip in detonation and you will blow your headgaskets again. The car will also be very hard to start. Get the car dyno tuned and you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    As far as GT 40 heads not sealing, that is not true in my opinion. Make sure you have them checked for a flat surface, use quality headbolts( ARP), and good headgskets and you won't have a problem.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    The pulled spout connector trick is very popular with boosted SN95s because their eec calibration uses several different timing adders, even with programming capabilities like eec-tuner, PMS etc, some people with SN95s still like to pull the spout connector & leave the timing at like 22 degrees. It's more of a racing fix than a street fix IMO.

If it's a Fox Mustang and the timing is set to 10 initial, you will never get more than 26 degrees total at WOT as Doug indicates above. If you wanted 24 total, simply set initial to 8.
    Chris