Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Official Novi 1000 Belt Tensioner Thread!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Novi 1000 Belt Tensioner Thread!

Official Novi 1000 Belt Tensioner Thread!

Where to start...

Welcome to the OFFICIAL THREAD FOR : The Novi 1000 Belt Tensioner

I felt this thread is necessary to provide other fox novi 1000 users with information regarding my problems with the belt tensioning system on our wonderful novi 1000's in hopes that other users that might be experiencing the same or similar problems, can use this thread as an avid tool in aide to help them possibly solve their belt tensioning problems.

I ask that EVERY fox novi 1000 user chime in with his or her experiences, whether it being remedy fixes, likes, dis-likes or technical advancement ideas relating to the belt tensioning system of the fox novi 1000.

As mentioned above I feel that this thread is way overdue in its appearance on novipower.com and will definitely serve its purpose!

This message is an opening statement. I will shortly post my write up concerning my experiences being categorized in problems with the tensioner, my attempted remedies, what worked, what didn't work, and good preventative maintenance procedures to ensure the longevity of the belt tensioning system for our novi 1000's!

Thanks For Your Reader Patience and Interest! I am sure this thread as mentioned will serve its purpose and benefit us ALL!

THANKS,

Chris
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

LOL chris I have had zero problems with belts or the tensioner.
    I have made tons of adjustments without issue. I hope I'm just lucky.:)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Here we go!

Back in early February of 2002 I purchased the Novi 1000 kit and was immensely excited of this sweet supercharger I kept hearing good things about. After installing it in Mid-February, it ran great and was all I had expected it to be and MORE!

Later on in time I wanted to get more boost out of the little Novi 1000 as we all know. So I did. I upgraded to the F-150 crank pulley.

Now after installing the F-150 crank pulley I had to play the "LETS GUESS what size of belt will work game" to find the right belt for my application (at that time I used ALL ACCESSORIES minus the smog pump and powersteering pump).

I noticed that after only 6 times of loosening up and tightening the ARBOR NUT on ARBOR TENSIONER STUD (stud that goes through the tensioner pulley)and then loosening up IDLER ADJUSTING SCREW (which we will refer to from now on in this write as the Adjuster Screw) seemed to have shown some signs of serious wear and tear!!!

My first reaction was that I tightened up the previous belts to tight and over tightened this adjuster screw and over tightened the arbor nut. What my initial findings were that the adjuster screw was BENT OUT OF SHAPE from what my visual standpoint was at the time and the threads on the arbor stud were stripped completely!

Below is a picture of 2 of the arbors I went through that ended up being stripped on the threads of the stud and EVEN having an the adjuster screw BREAK inside one of the arbor tensioner's!:
    sorry for the quality of the image

What sweet sorrow huh...:o

After two arbors and ME NOT OVERTIGHTENING the adjuster screw and arbor nut, something in my head said, "this is not right".

I therefore sought to seek the advice from several MASTER MACHINISTS that their work ranged from airplane parts manufacturing and engineering machinists to several racecar parts designers and fabricator machinists.

I thoroughly explained what I did and what in turn was happening. They looked and examined the parts and immediately told me there is some type of prolonged stress that is causing these parts to fail! They mentioned that one COULD NOT REPLICATE this type of structural wear in an instance/matter of just loosening and tightening those parts in a matter of just a FEW INSTANCES as was my case in particular being.

They also mentioned that the damage was due to an unbalanced load of tension causing torsion thus compromising the structural reliability of these parts. One of the gentlemen pointed out as we installed the broken parts back in its original place that the arbor stud BARELY stuck out of the pulley, and if that stud is a pertinent component in the belt tensioning system that it must have more thread sticking out of the pulley for the nut to seat and secure the stud properly and not just barely as it was apparent in my plain view and in their plain view of sight.
    They said the unbalance was so bad on this belt tensioning system is one of the few reasons one of my arbors split in half.

I conveyed to them that some other novi 1000 users have not had that problem in particular, they said and I quote "They should count their blessings".

They also mentioned that it is eminent that you must lubricate these parts to avoid corrosive matters (ie: rust) that can take place on them which can cause threads to not seat correctly if you should ever adjust any position settings, thus explains part of why my adjuster screw broke off in the arbor tensioner stud unit!

So after my investigations I consulted with Paxton. I spoke with an advocate by the name of Diana Reed, and I conveyed to her the nature of my problem(s). She assured me that it was error on my part due to overtightening these components. I had thoroughly explained in DETAIL my belt installment procedures and how far I tightened the adjuster screw and the arbor nut. She said that with the way I explained the situation to her, I should NOT be having any problems... according to her.

That telephone call was non-productive in solving my issues with the problems that were at hand. I had also mentioned "I" was not the "only one" individual having this type of problems with the belt tensioning system of the fox Novi 1000.

Of course standard operating procedure in any company in terms of public affairs is to deny such accusations. She said, "We have not heard of any other fox novi 1000 customer complain of the problems you are complaining about..." I said, "Really, does any of Paxton's advocates read the "Power Adders" forum on Corral.net". She replied "Not to her knowledge".

I simply laughed at that response, and mentally envisioned in my mind the thread I started on corral.net some time ago, which other Novi 1000 users agreed that there was something wrong with the belt tensioning system with the Novi 1000.

With no other choice I was forced to order (YET AGAIN) another arbor tensioner stud, and idler adjusting screw! @ $25.00 each, I was not a happy camper granted that I already spent that same amount in just a matter of a month ago prior to that telephone conversation!

I waited and for the arbor and adjuster screw to come in... It did! I opened the package up and noticed something VERY, VERY DIFFERENT! The arbor! The stud on the arbor was NOTICIABLY larger in size?!$@!$@%$ I was like..."What the hell??#$$#$@!!"

So I compared my other arbors and noticed that they were way smaller in size than this one.

I later found out that good old Paxton BLUNDERED UP my order and sent me the wrong arbor!!!! I was mad, enraged... But should I have been. NO! This was my blessing in disguise! They sent me the wrong arbor... but it was the right one that they should have pre-packaged with Novi 1000s to begin with! This in fact was an arbor from the Novi - 2000!

Lets us recall a few paragraphs before as to one of the statements made by one of the master machinists I consulted with. He mentioned that there was a lack of stud/thread sticking out of the pulley to have proper load and balance, and so on and so on so the arbor nut can seat properly under load!

THIS SCREW UP BY PAXTON WAS A REMEDY TO MY PROBLEMS!

Heck... even on the invoice it shows that they keyed in the part number for an arbor tensioner for a Novi-2000! LMFAO!!! When in fact I ordered one for the Novi-1000!?!?@$!@$

Here are some pictures below of the comparisons of the
    Novi 1000 arbor(s) and Novi 2000 arbor in size please note the Novi 1000 arbor(s) are the smaller arbors with the stripped studs:

This was such an unreal experience. Hehe... funny how things end up, huh?

Well I installed the Novi-2000 arbor tensioner stud it fit and worked like a CHARM! It had way more thread (length of the stud) sticking out of the tensioner pulley to where the arbor nut can justly be tightened on the stud!

AS TO DATE... I have had no problems with broken or warped symptoms with my adjuster screw or stripped threads on my arbor stud.

My advice to my fellow FOX NOVI 1000 comrades is... that if your arbor stud and adjuster screw are fine, keep a watchful eye on those components! If the arbor should break or the stud on the arbor should loose its threads, get a NOVI 2000 arbor tensioner stud from Paxton! Regardless of what they tell you! This is my opinion based upon my investigation regarding this problem.

I asked several master machinists/parts engineers, which their jobs employed them for their expertise and since this matter falls under there knowledge of metal structural reliability I will take their word seriously and void the old statement, "you are doing something wrong" bull$%@! from Paxton.

As for preventative maintenance to the Idler Adjuster Screw and the Arbor Tensioner Stud, I was told by my machinist/engineer friends (which they all agree) that you should lubricate the adjuster screw and arbor stud with a solvent like WD-40 or
    PROLONG SPL-400. One even mentioned using a lithium-based grease, by coating the screw with it. I have personally used the prolong lubricant spray on my adjuster screw and arbor stud.
    This allows for the parts to be adjusted smoothly and freely as well as to make sure that no corrosive matter gets stuck on the threads of the adjuster screw or arbor which can de-thread them as you make adjustments.

I hope this write up I did will help any fox Novi 1000 guy or gal (or any Novi user for that matter) experiencing the same or similar problems find some resolve and solution to their belt tensioner problem(s).

Till next time!

Thanks for your patience and interest,

Chris
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

[ sold... ]

Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

After I put my NOVI on, I kept reading posts about people throwing belts and such. I got worried and didn't want my belt to be too loose. I over compensated and tightened it too much...this put too much strain on my power steering pump bearings and the pump went as soon as I started the car up.

Not really a problem with the belt tensioner system but just a word of warning... Just make sure the belt is snug at first. Let it stretch and then tighten it again. Don't yank on the tensioner and tighten the belt too much!!!
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Originally posted by 468LC
    LOL chris I have had zero problems with belts or the tensioner.
    I have made tons of adjustments without issue. I hope I'm just lucky.:)
    I'm glad you have not endured the utter hell I did. Some people experience flukes with the tensioner, some don't!

I'm glad you fall into the "some don't" catagory:D

Sometimes issues of quality are at hand, then so are issues of correct installation... blah blah blah? Who knows man?

The shop I had my Novi installed at, is one of the oldest shops here in San Antonio, Tx that installs blowers literally every week. LoL! I trust their workmanship. Thats why I had them install it.

But at any rate I am glad to hear that you have been problem free with the belt tensioner!

:)
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

Originally posted by Whistler
    After I put my NOVI on, I kept reading posts about people throwing belts and such. I got worried and didn't want my belt to be too loose. I over compensated and tightened it too much...this put too much strain on my power steering pump bearings and the pump went as soon as I started the car up.

Not really a problem with the belt tensioner system but just a word of warning... Just make sure the belt is snug at first. Let it stretch and then tighten it again. Don't yank on the tensioner and tighten the belt too much!!!
    Good point Whistler! :D I definitely agree with ya!!!!!
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

Junior SCH Member

well well

i too am on my 2nd arbor/adjuster screw assembly.
    same problem and same answer from paxton. if i was at their place i would take a hammer and pound it into their skulls so they remember what the problem is.
    i guess i'll just buy the novi 2000 arbor or i'll have a machine shop make me one out of a stronger material.
    thanks for letting me vent.
    have a nice day!:D
    87' GN- 3.8 SFI TURBO, A FEW MODS

90' GT- NOVI 1000 6 LBS, MILD 306 W/ NITROUS FOR THE LIITLE EXTRA KICK.
    353HP/442RWTQ
    383HP/475RWTQ W/60 SHOT
    11.30 @119MPH

Re: well well

Originally posted by MINN5.0
    i too am on my 2nd arbor/adjuster screw assembly.
    same problem and same answer from paxton. if i was at their place i would take a hammer and pound it into their skulls so they remember what the problem is.
    i guess i'll just buy the novi 2000 arbor or i'll have a machine shop make me one out of a stronger material.
    thanks for letting me vent.
    have a nice day!:D

I feel your pain MINN5.0! Yes I think a little brute force might wake paxton up some :D

Nevertheless, the material that Paxton uses on their arbor studs and adjuster screw seems to be up to par and looks like it can handle the abuse granted the proper length and size of certain components are correct, for example the stud on the arbor.

Try out the Novi 2000 arbor, I am very sure you will notice a difference! Make sure once in a while you lube those parts up though before tightening or loosening them up, doesn't have to be EVERY time... just every now and then.

The part number for the Novi 2000 arbor is: 7PB500-263

The Novi 2000 arbor tensioner stud will use the same adjuster screw as the Novi 1000!

The adjuster screw part number is: 7PA375-500

Ask them for a complimentary washer and nut!
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

Junior SCH Member

!

goliath, thanks for the part numbers.
    this will save me the hassel(?) of trying to explain it to them!

later, steve
    87' GN- 3.8 SFI TURBO, A FEW MODS

90' GT- NOVI 1000 6 LBS, MILD 306 W/ NITROUS FOR THE LIITLE EXTRA KICK.
    353HP/442RWTQ
    383HP/475RWTQ W/60 SHOT
    11.30 @119MPH

Junior SCH Member
    my stud broke the day i got the car with the charger on it. when i tried to tighten the belt it just snapped. the pulley thing that goes throught the support plate that moves up and down also stripped and needed to be rethreaded. i broke another stud from the hardware store and am on the third one but now dont remember how it worked and cant figure it out or get it tightened!!!! the alternator is now not charging because the belt slips so much and it the battery is dead and the car is now undrivable. this is soooo frustrating!!!!! none of the pictures u guys posted before showed up or worked, do any of u guys have pictures of the stud and arbor and how it goes on? the original paxton stuff broke a good year ago so now i dont even remember how the system is supposed to work and am very confused and frustrated! help!!

Junior SCH Member
    i just went to my local speed shop to have them order me a new adjusting screw with the part no# you guys provided and he said i had the wrong number and paxton made no such part with that number, i tried calling paxton like 5 different times but i can never get in contact with a person. do any of you guys have the correct part number? i cant my belt tight !!

My system has been working great!! No issues whatsoever!!
    I've got the new style 2 belt setup.

The kit I'm getting supposedly has the Novi 2k bracketry/idler. Guess they upgraded it or something. Hopefully no problems.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

The two belt design dosen't have this issue due to a completely different design.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

blown5oh
    I'm having a somewhat similar problem w/ my 2 belt setup. I'm getting serious belt slip when I hit 15+# of boost - all the pulleys are aligned properly. To stop this we've tightened down on the tensioner pulley, which is causing the bracket to flex. I guess I have a pulley and bracket problem. I wonder if the novi 2k tensioner pulley will help w/ the slip, which will stop the need for cranking down on the pulley.