Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
boost falls off...belt or ball drive

Thread: boost falls off...belt or ball drive

Senior SCH Member

boost falls off...belt or ball drive

LONG TIME since I've visited this board! Life's been busy for me!!!

My car has sat for the past year due to work and building a new home. I took it out today and I noticed my boost would climb to 8 and then fall back to 5psi while I was at approaching the top of my rpm range. My foot was still in it. I 99% sure it's not belt slippage because I upgraded to an 8 rib system and I've never had this issue with my sn2000. I have had this problem with my VR4 so I sold it. I put a .05 shim in the charger and now it pulls up to 10psi, but it still slipps down a bit. My initial ball drive tension was 37inch/lbs. The .05 shim increased my ball drive tension to 47 inch/lbs.

I think I used to run 54 inch/lbs. Wondering what you guys think?:guess:

Thanks for the help!

Senior SCH Member
    My last ball drive tension was about 45inch/lbs. I increased the tension to 50inch/lbs. I will bet that will do the trick as I used to run my ball drive@ 54inch/lbs.

I'll keep ya informed:freaks:

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Even my 10 rib slips if not tight enough !
    Check fot slippage and be 100% sure.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Also use Valvoline Type 'F' or 'FA' it has Anti-Slip additives.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks Aaron! Ya, I always use Valvoline type FA or Ford type F when I can find it.

I know it is the ball drive tension as I have had similar problems with my VR4. I replaced my impeller shaft and my clearances changed. Everything got much tighter inside the ball drive. I adjusted my ball dirve tension @ 44 inch/lbs and now since things have broke in, my tension was 37. I bumped it up to 48-50 inch lbs and I know that will do the trick.

I'll keep ya informed when I take it out for a spin tomorrow.:sleep::machine:

Senior SCH Member
    Well, here's the deal. I remember my sn 2000 has always needed 46inch/lbs or more to keep from slipping. When I first rebuild my sn2K, I put everythging back together and i had 46inch/lbs stock. Craig @ Paradise said I should only have something around 22inch/lbs. My SN2K has always ran it's best @ 54 inch/lbs. I have it @ 50 and I see alomst 11psi of boost! Very consistant @ 10 psi, maybe 10.5. If I hold the rpm at my max, I can see the boost gauge just barely start to fall back. I'm right where I need to be. I should bump up my ball drive tension to 54inch/lbs, but I've got too much going on with our new home. Car...done:glasses:

Senior SCH Member

wow

Ok, I increased my ball drive to 54 inch/lbs because I noticed my boost would still start to fall back @ 10psi, not all the time, but it was still slipping. From my experience, when the ball drive slips = excessvie wear. I increased my ball drvie tension to 54 inch/lbs from 50 inch/lbs and now I am consistantly getting 10.5psi! I would have thought the removal of my cats would have reduced my boost psi a .5lb or more...guess not! The thing is now, I can hardly keep my tires from spinning. But then again, That's always been an issue.

SCH Member
    got to love the <search> button. 10.5 from a sn2000, i can live with that.

Just remember you will wear things out if you don't use quality fluid and change every 3k miles.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    And with that kind of pressure a oilcooler
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    the good thing is my gta only gets about 600miles a year, it is truley a toy. I am just shooting for 7 right now. And i am getting a big *** cooler.

I used a transmission cooler the width and height of my radiator. Never had a problem with heat even after a day of back to back drag runs or a day road racing.

SCH Member
    That is about what i am planing, i think the cooler i am looking at is 19.5X11.

I need new pulleys two, i just want to go 10 rib and be done with it, that way i am ready for the vr4. I just want to get use to tuning what i have and be ready when i find a vr4 to upgrade.